The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my Basspro Archery catalog in the mail today. seems like everyone has a reverse draw in their line now. .. how are they holding up on the daily grind of use..are Do they have limb/cam breakage as well? Some say on here they are the cats meow .

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
There does not seem to be any inherent issues with limbs on reverse draw bows. Only issue is a bit faster center serving wear and separation because of the very acute string angle when cocked.

I currently have 3 reverse draws in my stable and I like them very much.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with dpms--no real issues other than center servings. Over all there are some really great options out there in the market place right now. The reverse draw seems to be very popular. Me--I like my Excaliburs. I love my Matrix 380 but have been eye balling some of the reverse draws out there. I really like the Scorpyds but am very satisfied with my current Excalibur. No real issues I can't handle myself as far as tuning, repair and such.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was curious.. I don't have the option of owning several cross bows.. I currently love my 1st gen Parker Tornado. Love the stock.. a bite front heavy but amazingly accurate @ 165 lbs. reason I asked I've heard the reverse draw are center balanced well.. How loud are they? Do they cock easily?

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
NiceRack! said:
How loud are they? Do they cock easily?
Not much quieter than many conventional limbs but vibration is much reduced due to the parallel limbs.

The Barnett Vengeance and Scorpyd both have a very long power stroke so you run out of room at the end of the stroke. Some struggle with this. The Bear has a tad shorter power stroke so it cocks a bit easier. The Horton Storm and TenPoint Nitro are the easiest to cock of all of them, IMO.

·
Registered
297 Posts
dpms said:
There does not seem to be any inherent issues with limbs on reverse draw bows. Only issue is a bit faster center serving wear and separation because of the very acute string angle when cocked.
How often do you replace the center serving? More often than the "every other year" of a compound bow? Based on time or number of shots?

(I'm considering taking a look at the Barnett Vengeance 2 -- if I can ever find one in a store! -- but not sold just yet on paying big bucks for a crossbow...)

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
UncleRev said:
How often do you replace the center serving? More often than the "every other year" of a compound bow? Based on time or number of shots?
Really depends on the bow, string angle, quality of the serving and down pressure on the rail. Some bows can get a couple hundred shots before the center serving needs replaced. Others can go over a thousand.

(I'm considering taking a look at the Barnett Vengeance 2 -- if I can ever find one in a store! -- but not sold just yet on paying big bucks for a crossbow...)
Look at the Horton Storm as well with Dead Sledd cocking option. Better bow, IMO.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yep dpms, I'm picking up my Horton Storm on Thursday. I loved my Horton Vision, but just lacked the speed and power that I wanted. So after looking at a few models ( and talking to my local archery shop ) I chose the Storm Rdx. Besides, my local archery shop told me to stay clear of the Barnett's..... All he'd say is that he'll never work on another one of them ( no idea why ).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Majik Man said:
Yep dpms, I'm picking up my Horton Storm on Thursday.
2016 version?

Would you let us know what you think of it? I've read some stuff on the 'net that complains about the cams and balance, and how well the manual cocking works, and accuracy (although precision seems great). This might have been last year's model, though...

Thanks!

·
Registered
877 Posts
dpms, I see that your Storm Rdx has the Accu-Draw. Have you ever tried the Dead-sled? Just wondering because mine came with a different looking dead-sled than the videos on youtube show. On youtube they show ones with two short ropes going to the handles, while the one I got looks more like the one that came with my Vision..... And after looking my bow over, I see there's a small slot in the groove where your accu-draw sled sits: is that there for the string on the dead-sled to hook into while cocking ( kinda like the Vision had - only a lot smaller ) ? Haven't shot it yet, and just wanting to make sure I don't screw something up by cocking it wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
If you have the Dead Sled 50 then yes, the middle section is placed in the groove behind the trigger box for cocking. It reduces cocking effort by 50%. The standard Dead Sled is a straight pull with no mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ok, finally shot my new crossbow. I am now a firm believer in the Horton Storm Rdx! Only problem I can see with it is that it only came with 3 bolts -LOL- as the nock broke off of first bolt, and second bolt went through the target loseing a vein somewhere inside the target. now i'm down to only one bolt for now..... I didn't spend the time to actually sight it in yesterday, but right out the box -it was hitting within 2 inches at 20 yards. and hitting the exact same spot every time. After adjusting the scope a couple times, my final shot went right thru the bullseye! Now my question is: what are the lightest grain bolts that can be safely shot from this crossbow? I believe it came with 400 grain bolts. Just thinking " lighter is faster "... Or is this way of thinking a mistake on my part?

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
Lighter will be faster but no need to go lighter. The Storm is plenty fast and lighter arrows are much harder on the bow. I can only describe the reaction of a crossbow being fired as "violent". Slow motion video of a crossbow being shot actually will shot the barrel flexing. I tend to like my arrows a little heavier than 400 grains.

You will need some more arrows. I would suggest upgrading from the factory arrows to a dozen quality arrows and I would look no further than crossbow forum sponsor Arrowhead. He has extensive experience with the Storm and can make you up a half or full dozen custom arrows for what you would pay for them at a box store. Great guy yo talk to and he will give you some tips on the Storm. Under "sponsors" look him up and give him a box.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Awsome. I was hopeing to find someone who can make me up a dozen bolts with all white veins and nocks. maybe even a couple bolts with luminocks.... hard to find since my bolts have to be 20inch with Omni-nocks...

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
Majik Man said:
Awsome. I was hopeing to find someone who can make me up a dozen bolts with all white veins and nocks. maybe even a couple bolts with luminocks.... hard to find since my bolts have to be 20inch with Omni-nocks...
That is no problem for Arrowhead. Whatever fletching you want he will do. Lumenok does not make Omni style nocks but TenPoints makes lighted Omni Nocks which Arrowhead carries.

Give him a call at 814-662-4321.

Tell him you are a HuntingPa member.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Got me a half-dozen practice bolts, a new target, and my hunting broadheads this past week.... Been shooting it a bit, and can really find NOTHING wrong with it at all! I Love my Storm Rdx! and yes, it's a 2016 model. So far I've shot at 20yards and 30yards, and both are dead on! I recommend it to anyone and everyone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts