The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received notice that I was <u>DENIED my RENEWAL</u> for my concealed weapons permit and had to immediately send in my current permit which only has 6 days left on it until it expires.
I was denied my renewal due to a Disorderly Conduct Summary Offence and a Criminal Mischief Misdemeanor charge from December 2000. <u>I was not convicted of either.</u>
Both are listed on my record as NO Prosecution!
My father-in-law is a cop and I had him run my record after talking to the lady at the court house.
The lady at firearms division at the court house advised that the Sheriff changed the rules for weapons permits.

Within the last 10 years I have bought numerous hand guns, rifles, and shotguns, the latest was a year ago. No Problems.
It was not an issue with the Sheriff who was in office in 2005 when I first applied for my permit, but my record is a problem for the new Sheriff who took office in 2006. Not sure when he changed his rules for weapons permits

This is a heads up for those of you who may be renewing soon.

Has anyone had a similar issue or heard of anything new. I don't get it at all, this is BS.

Now I have to go to the court house, appeal to a judge, plead my case that I am a good guy and my record is fine for carrying a gun and hope he/she grants me a permit. If that don't work I'll have to go through the expungement process.
Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
A stepson has been going through "record expungement purgatory" for the past four months. He is trying to get his certification to be a PIAA official (high school sports).

He was charged with a felony back in 1986, but the charges were dropped when the "plaintiff" recanted and admitted she had lied to the police.

Local police, district judge (same one is still in office), PSP and no one else has an active file listing the charge, nor disposition of charges, but the original charge turned up on an FBI background check.

Lawyer wanted about $4K to make it disappear, he's still tring to get it removed on his own. Both the local police and DJ told him they have no idea why the charge is still listed under his name, when the charges were dropped within weeks of being filed in 1986 and no prosecution ever took place?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Not up to snuff on the rules and regs for a LTC permit. But Doesn't seem right that a sherrif can determine those rules. Was there a change to the state law??

Is your listed offense part of the list for denial on the state list?

Might be a case for the State AG to look at - or to be aware of.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the Sheriff's website:

By law, the Sheriff must deny a license to any applicant who falls into one of the following categories:

-an individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
-an individual who has been convicted of an offense under the Controlled Substance, Drug, Device, and Cosmetic Act;
-an individual convicted of a crime of violence;
-an individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime of violence or for an offense under the Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act;
-an individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution;
-an individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug;
-an individual who is a habitual drunkard;
-an individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
-a resident of another state who does not possess a current license issued by the state;
-an illegal alien;
-an individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions, and;
-an individual who is a fugitive from justice.

Once an application for a license to carry a firearm has been filed, the Sheriff's Office has 45 days in which to complete a background investigation and notify the applicant as to whether a license will be issued. Once issued, the license is valid for a period of five years.

The Sheriff's Office Firearms License Unit gives its highest priority to processing the applications to purchase firearms. The reason for this is our commitment to help ensure that no firearms are sold to any person who is not by law entitled to own one.

Our next priority is to process the applications of those who wish to carry a firearm. In addition to having the authority to issue licenses, the Sheriff also has the authority to revoke a license for good cause. For example, if an individual who possesses a current license to carry a firearm was convicted of a crime of violence, the Sheriff would revoke his license.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
-an individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
Common sense would indicate that if those charges had been dropped, or the person found not guilty of such charges, then they would be clear of this one? AS opposed to such charges still pending.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have to think that this is the Allegheny County sheriff in office now. Renewal used to be instant because of the NICS check but when this sheriff took office it changed and you now have to wait a few weeks for your renewal. Politics.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Send to florida and get it only joking but it Was on the wtae news last week that there are over 3000 people from this state that send there and get them within a few weeks! Its sad but this is rapidly becoming an anti gun state especially allegheny county! Then the only people in that county that will have guns is the druggies and other criminals!

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Then the only people in that county that will have guns is the druggies and other criminals!
And the sheriff.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Drgnarr said:
Today I received notice that I was DENIED my RENEWAL for my concealed weapons permit and had to immediately send in my current permit which only has 6 days left on it until it expires.
I was denied my renewal due to a Disorderly Conduct Summary Offence and a Criminal Mischief Misdemeanor charge from December 2000. I was not convicted of either.
Both are listed on my record as NO Prosecution!
My father-in-law is a cop and I had him run my record after talking to the lady at the court house.
The lady at firearms division at the court house advised that the Sheriff changed the rules for weapons permits.

Within the last 10 years I have bought numerous hand guns, rifles, and shotguns, the latest was a year ago. No Problems.
It was not an issue with the Sheriff who was in office in 2005 when I first applied for my permit, but my record is a problem for the new Sheriff who took office in 2006. Not sure when he changed his rules for weapons permits

This is a heads up for those of you who may be renewing soon.

Has anyone had a similar issue or heard of anything new. I don't get it at all, this is BS.

Now I have to go to the court house, appeal to a judge, plead my case that I am a good guy and my record is fine for carrying a gun and hope he/she grants me a permit. If that don't work I'll have to go through the expungement process.
Anyone got any advice?
Yes, and a plan of action

Allegheny County Sportsmen's League
http://acslpa.org/

On the ACSL web site on right hand side you will find this
Legislative Committee Forum

Have YOU or SOMEONE you know had Problems with the PA Instant Check System?
Have YOU or SOMEONE you know had Problems with GETTING a Concealed Weapons Permit or RENEWING the one you already have?
Help US help YOU and YOUR fellow gun owners by clicking this link:

ACSL Problem Reporting & Documentation Procedure

(Your information will be handled in complete compliance with the choices you make at this page) That information goes to Kim Stolfer legislative chairman of the ACSL who will get back in touch with you shortly, the Allegheny Co sheriff along with several other sheriff's (not all of them) has been playing fast & loose with the letter of the law in the UFA.

Then again since most people don't voice their opposition to the laws that are in PA UFA or the elected Reps in Harrisburg till it effect’s them personally, this is what happens with people holding office NOT being accountable for their actions.

Still gun owners will rush to the provisions in the UFA that were put in there by gun owners working with Reps for these protections from abuse.

Most gun owners take the protection of their freedoms & right with indifference.

Try that with your firearms, just use them and store them away without thought and don’t clean or take care for them over the years. Would you really expect them to be in the same useable condition after years of neglect or no thought to their protection. Why do gun owners think their firearm rights are any different if they don’t actively protect them?

Yet a VAST majority of gun owners just give their silent consent till it affects them., Then it’s too late except to beg for help, or hire people to represent them with a court action.

Think the rant above is unfounded or untrue.....

Just look how few the April 27 Harrisburg rally / lobbying has gotten on this web site as an example. IF gun owners don’t care about their rights why should anyone else? Hmmm ……REALLY?

Were gun owners have a chance to personally make a difference to work to change the laws to protect their rights at these event to just sit down and talk with elected Reps to illustrate the problems just like in the OP. Everyone enjoys the results that the few work for tireless to protect, where is everyone else when there voice are needed.
Their was a past governor of PA that said something amazing when being pressed about supporting gun control in PA to advance his position paraphrasing here “Why should I care what sportmen’s think they don’t bother to register and they don’t vote”

To OP Please fill out the form on the ACSL web site Kim Stolfer will give you advice for “FREE” to help you out
Or you can talk about your problem to Kim Stolfer in person at the Firearm Owners Against Crime meeting Sunday April 11, 2010 with the special guest of the Attorney General Tom Corbett will be making, If you would have attend last months FOAC meeting you could have ask the guest speaker, Westmoreland County Sheriff what happens with the LTCF permit process.
IF you want to attend the meeting and ask the AG Tom Corbett the question directly please come the details on FOAC web site under meeting at top

http://www.foac-pac.org/

Gun owners and Americans in general BETTER start pay attention to what people in government is doing at all levels or deal with the unintended consequences of not caring till it affect all of US.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
AG Corbett addressed those in attendance at the PFSC spring convention banquet a few weeks ago. Fully three quarters of his comments dealt with sportsmen's issues, firearms law and LTCF reciprocity.

I'll cut him some slack on the other 25% being about his candidacy.

Sen. Alloway also offered some remarks, as did Josh First, GOP primary candidate for Cong. Holden's seat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it figured out after talking to the lady at the court house.
They are now turning down applicants and renewals based on charges on their record! Yup, not just convictions, charges.....I was charged for Criminal Mischief, never convicted so no grade was assigned, but that is why I was denied my renewal.

Don't make any sense to me, anyone can charge anyone with anything that they want, then it's on your record that you were charged with something!

You get it? Hard to explain

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
Seems as if they are pushing to see how far they can go.It will get worse if it never gets fought against.Pittsburgh doesn't want people to own guns.So that means all of Allegheny county to the sherrif.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would go through the expungement process, you may have beat that case years ago but the fact is you were charged with it. If it affected you for this who knows where it could haunt you again.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania - Frequently asked questions (by the Pennsylvania State Police)

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

Perfectly legal to get a license from another reciprocal state even if you are a resident of PA. It will cost a little more and you'll need to take an accepted, certified firearms instruction course to get a license in those other states but that is one route you can take to bypass the Allegheny Co. Sheriff. I'd suggest FL or UT, whichever is cheaper/longer license issuance.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Is there other ways to deal with this such as calling your representatives for that area. When is the sherriff up for relection, this could be a good issue to let be known that if they don't change current policy they will be voted out. Or contact the NRA and see if they have any interest in this, just throwing some ideas out there.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20100317_Onorato_treads_softly_on_gun-control_issue.html
Onorato, a Democrat, said he wanted to "recognize the great sportsman heritage we have in Pennsylvania." He said that "culture" could withstand efforts at "responsible legislation" to deal with illegal guns.

Onorato said cities like Philadelphia should be allowed to pass their own gun laws. He also supports legislation limiting customers to buy only one gun a month and to require child-safety locks for firearms. He described his efforts to have the district attorney, the sheriff and police forces in Allegheny County work together on gun violence.
While it is nice to recognize our "sportsman heritage," that has nothing to do with the second amendment at all. It sounds to me like he thinks Philla and Pittsburgh should be able to ban guns if they want to. Doesn't seem like a falacy to me. Show me where I have it wrong.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The problem is that Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are controlled by democrats and have been for many years. They are generally, not always, anti-gun. The sheriff is backed by the democratic party and the lemmings go in and vote straight democratic. They have no mind of their own. Whatever the party tells them to do, they do. I never thought Onarato was for any gun control until someone on here showed me an article where he was in Philly and said they should be allowed to make their own gun laws. That's a shame because I really like Onarato and I will probably still vote for him becaue, besides the gun issue, he has a lot more going for him and I think he will be a good governor. I hate to be a one issue voter.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts