The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking for a while to add another xbow just in case my Barnett Recurit breaks a string or cable while deer hunting.
I went with the pile driver 390 seem it has mix reviews .
The one bad rap was the cheap scope, I do have another 3 dot scope which I perfer over the cross hair setup
Will see how she shoots but 279.00 out the door was not a bad price

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have a 390 PD, I replaced the scope and it does everything I need it to do and fast.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to ask has anyone try a shotgun scope on a crossbow.
I have a 1.5x4 20 mm Simmons that is mint condition works great on my single shot 38/55
I hope the scope that comes on the pile driver is o.k.

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
Dunham's has the same price on them just add tax.I would try the scope on it first,if it doesn't work out try the other one you have.If that don't work put a cheap red dot on it.I doubt your crossbow would kill a shotgun scope.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the brown truck drop off the bow today,my opinion on the bow.
Took a while to get into the instructions book.
I been shooting bows and crossbow for some time otherwise they can print it a little better to understand.
I did find the scope is not for me I perfer the 3 dots setup.
Was nothing wrong with the scope but had to many dots and lines to get confused .
I have the 3 dots setup up on the Recruit simple set up.
I tried to drawing the bow and it not easy, I am still in pretty good shape at 72 years old.
Still hit the gym 3 times a week
I really can't find anything in the con area .
The only thing I can think is the x bow has a high cheek rest.
I will be using the crank set up if it get a little tuff to draw nice feature to have.
I went over the xbow a few times can't find anything to upset me

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shot today shoots one hole group at 15 yards.
The arrow that came with the package are on the heavy side 460 gr.
I have 405 gr. Wow a big difference in speed.
I would like the bolt to sit a little tighter in the trigger housing will always make sure to seat the arrow before shooting

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You can adjust the metal strip holding the bolt in the trigger housing to put more down pressure on the bolt. Check the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did see that front set screw to adjust tension,late last night it seem to be tight I did not try to break it.
I just went back to the set screw and gave a 1/4 turn that did the trick

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got out today bow shoots excellent ran a out 25 rounds down range good to go to 40 yards.
I. have one more dot 3rd one should get me at 50 yards no prblem

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Don't go shooting at a deer at 50 yards until you have had lots of practice doing it. As for me, I will not take a 50 yard shot and I have the same crossbow you do.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran the 40 yard target to day second red dot ,The group was the same all touching .
I also double check the first dot good out to 30 yards.
Bow shoots great so far 50 rounds down range nothing has broke .
I also checked the flight with some broadheads 100 gr. Thunderhead and a few Muzzys pretty close to the field points.
I run Nap spitfire Maxx but did not have them with me

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just remember, targets do not move, deer do and the further away they are the better chance they could move causing a wounding shot.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will agree 100 percent.
I am not new to hunting I think in the last 50 years if I can recall only lost about 3 deer over that time frame.
Bow hunted a good 40 years.
Back and shoulders made me go to the cross bow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts