The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new 16x24 cabin or shabin with a loft and 6 foot porch. We did all the land clearing with a skid loader and built the stone pad. The cabin was prebuilt and assembled on site. We will be finishing off the interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Very nice. Can you PM me some details about the who's, what's and how much's?

Reactions: thefirstndsecond

·
Registered
269 Posts
I suggest you get some hard screen maybe 1/4 or 1/2 openings and nail across the open ends at stone level. It will help keep the critters out but still be ventilated. Scrape the stone down a little to allow the screen down below the top then push the stone back in

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest you get some hard screen maybe 1/4 or 1/2 openings and nail across the open ends at stone level. It will help keep the critters out but still be ventilated. Scrape the stone down a little to allow the screen down below the top then push the stone back in
I forgot to mention the floor is insulated and lined with sheet metal to keep rodents out.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Put a window in on this end for ventilation, but mostly for a fire escape, put in a rope ladder and anchor it .. be safe... good job, looks great..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome!

What are your plans for lights? Water? Heat? commode?
We have electric to the property, so it will be wired. We plan on eventually drilling a well on the property, but for now we are going to set up an RV style water system. For heat, we purchased a small wood stove from tractor supply on sale last year. And we purchased a sun-mar composting toilet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
We have electric to the property, so it will be wired. We plan on eventually drilling a well on the property, but for now we are going to set up an RV style water system. For heat, we purchased a small wood stove from tractor supply on sale last year. And we purchased a sun-mar composting toilet.
Awesome!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The only thing you've done wrong so far, is the fact that you only posted 6 pics! WE WANT MORE!!!!! Great looking place, I know you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing you've done wrong so far, is the fact that you only posted 6 pics! WE WANT MORE!!!!! Great looking place, I know you will enjoy it.
I’ll post some more pictures through the process. Right now we’re framing up a couple walls for the downstairs bedroom and utility room. It’s scheduled for spray foam in a week or so.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Only thing you may want to consider or at least plan for when finishing is the possibility of adding another heat source like propane. I started with just a wood stove and those little woods stoves will heat the place up. The downside is that the fire doesn't last for a long time like overnight or when you are gone hunting during the day. We added a direct vent wall propane heater so it will take over when the fire dies down. Also nice for this time of year when you maybe need a little heat overnight, but don't need much. Like I said you don't need to add now, but you may want to consider a location and plan accordingly in layout in case you do.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a good plan. Only thing you may want to consider or at least plan for when finishing is the possibility of adding another heat source like propane. I started with just a wood stove and those little woods stoves will heat the place up. The downside is that the fire doesn't last for a long time like overnight or when you are gone hunting during the day. We added a direct vent wall propane heater so it will take over when the fire dies down. Also nice for this time of year when you maybe need a little heat overnight, but don't need much. Like I said you don't need to add now, but you may want to consider a location and plan accordingly in layout in case you do.
Yes, we talked about possibly adding one of those. Only issue is limited wall space. Might have to just have an electric heater or two.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Yes, we talked about possibly adding one of those. Only issue is limited wall space. Might have to just have an electric heater or two.
Actually I would go the electric route since you will be tied on the grid as it would be less hassle than propane and for recreational use the electric wouldn't run you that much. We didn't have that choice since we were off-grid. It is nice not to have to get up in the middle of the night to get the fire going. :grin2:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually I would go the electric route since you will be tied on the grid as it would be less hassle than propane and for recreational use the electric wouldn't run you that much. We didn't have that choice since we were off-grid. It is nice not to have to get up in the middle of the night to get the fire going. :grin2:
Yeah I believe the stove we bought it rated for 4 hours of burn time. Which is probably less then that.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts