The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
John,

First, congrats to your friends!

How did they get in, I thought the border was still closed? Did they have to quarantine once across the border?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
From what my buddy said was proof of a negative test with in 72hrs and your covid19 vaccine paperwork. He went fishing for a week up in Canada and that's all he needed. Well plus his passport and Id. Guess you go onto an app to input all of it.
Yes that is how it works, my buddy got back from NF yesterday.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My friend's parents were supposed to go earlier this month fishing in Ontario. They weren't as concerned about getting into Canada as opposed to getting back home for some reason. Not sure if that was true or just how they were reading things. They postponed their trip till next year.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
John,

First, congrats to your friends!

How did they get in, I thought the border was still closed? Did they have to quarantine once across the border?

They opened the border on 8/9/21. But there are still restrictions in place

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
My friend's parents were supposed to go earlier this month fishing in Ontario. They weren't as concerned about getting into Canada as opposed to getting back home for some reason. Not sure if that was true or just how they were reading things. They postponed their trip till next year.
If they are US citizens they cannot deny entry.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I’ve killed 6 elk, 10 moose, 10 mule deer and 150+ white tails. I can say that moose is far superior to any of the other meats. In fact the last couple bull elk I killed I donated to food banks in Utah, even though I could have the meat freighted home for free. For ten years, I never kept a pound of Pa venison, I ate only moose.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s due to the fact that the moose I hunted had no predators, and lived on relatively flat terrain that makes them better eating. Very tender, even the old bulls. Living out your life in the steep canyons of the Rockies, with big cats around, can lead to some serious tough muscle structure. I’ve said that elk can take a better beating than moose before dropping too. The bull elk we were hunting were older herd bulls killed in the peak of the rut.

I will say, however, my buddy’s cow elk that he killed from my camp in Pa was far better eating than those bulls from Colorado or Utah.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I’ve killed 6 elk, 10 moose, 10 mule deer and 150+ white tails. I can say that moose is far superior to any of the other meats. In fact the last couple bull elk I killed I donated to food banks in Utah, even though I could have the meat freighted home for free. For ten years, I never kept a pound of Pa venison, I ate only moose.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s due to the fact that the moose I hunted had no predators, and lived on relatively flat terrain that makes them better eating. Very tender, even the old bulls. Living out your life in the steep canyons of the Rockies, with big cats around, can lead to some serious tough muscle structure. I’ve said that elk can take a better beating than moose before dropping too. The bull elk we were hunting were older herd bulls killed in the peak of the rut.

I will say, however, my buddy’s cow elk that he killed from my camp in Pa was far better eating than those bulls from Colorado or Utah.
My PA cow elk was delicious, she was 4 years old. However the moose meat I ate that came from Maine was a little better. That said, I like all venison and I never killed a deer that didn't eat very well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts