The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from the New Brunswick hunt with Stony Brook Outfitters. I'll be writing my usual story later, but in the meantime here's the CliffNotes version.

We only went 2 for 6 but Shelly from New Castle Pa, who was bow hunting, hit and lost one Monday and missed another on Tuesday. Two hunters that were waiting on big ones passed on several smaller bears, and one of those guys hit and lost a big one on Thursday. One hunter saw no bears so we were 5 for 6 for shot opportunities.

Tues evening was the big night: I killed a 340 lb boar with my 20ga. and Joe from New Castle Pa killed a 385 lb. boar with his bow. My skull was 19 1/2 green, his was 20 1/2 and should make P&Y.

Loridr's bear

Joe's Bear

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
That is a great picture, Loridr! Congrats on your successful hunt. Pictures like that make the memories last forever. Great stuff!

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DPMS. My only regret is that I chickened out about carrying the Renegade when everyone had me convinced I'd either spook a bear cocking the gun or see one too late to see with the aperture sight. I don't know if clicking the lock would have spooked him, but as it turned out there was plenty of light when he came in. It would have been a dead bear even if I had been toting my crossbow... easy broadside 20 yard shot.

·
Super Moderator
27,198 Posts
Congrats!!

Looking forward to the story!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Congratulations. Also, it's hard to get good photos of bears because they're so dark. Both pictures are great.

New Brunswick is a great place for bears.

Steve.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts