The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy a new bow. I was looking at a Mathews but I don't know which models are the best. I was looking at the Z7 or the monster XLR8. The Z7 has some cosmetic problems but i am only worried about performance. What do you guys recommend.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I;ll sell you a loaded elite z28 witha quad rest vbg sight and all the bells ad whistles. its a 08.5 and has been shot 50 times and never seen the woods. 29 inch draw 60-70 lb weight. Bows worth 1100, I'll sell for 650

·
Super Moderator
7,994 Posts
Shoot a lot of bows. One will definitely speak to you and you'll know it when you find it. Bows are expensive these days. Don't limit yourself to one brand. Shoot them all and see what feels most solid and smooth for you. You have a TON of time to work on this purchase till next year's season....enjoy the process.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i shoot a mathew drenalin and i like it. I think that some of these new bows are made for speed and thats why we want them is because its the new thing out and its the fastest. I went and shot the monster when it came out and thought it was a harsh draw and alot noisier than my bow. It may be 40 fps faster but i dont think its worth it. I have shot mathews bows as my last to bows {switchback and the drenalin} and if i had to buy one now out of the ones i shot at the local shop last week it would be a toss up between the Reezen, Alphaburner by Hoyt, and Bowtech Destroyer 350.They all shot good for me and are a mix of what I like. They are reasonably fast, smooth, and quiet. I guess the best advice to give is to go shoot every new bow you can and compare them closely and make a decision. There are a bunch of great products out there today

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
http://www.Archerytalk.com is a great place to look----Tomorrow I will finally have my new bow on its way here ---- I went with a Hoyt Alphamax 32 with a 50-60 lbweight and a 27.5 draw. With it I had the dealer installa QAD Pro Series camo HD drop away rest , HHA DS 5519 Sight, 3.5 inch scoil stabilizer, peep, and string loop..........Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Might want to look into Mission Archery they are bows made by Mathews but a bit less expensive. I would definitely look into what kind of warrenty your are getting when purchasing a bow. Like others have said shoot a few different bows and find out what you like.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
If you are going to buy a Mathews and depends on where you live, I would run down to Archery Zone in Johnstown. I bought my Mathews there this past September and everyone there was very helpful. I had a problem with my draw lenght and the cam needed switched out, what seemed like 5 seconds later the bow was back in my hands and I was paper tuning.......

·
4,289 Posts
I would suggest shooting every bow you can get your hand on! Just because it says Matthews or Hoyt or Bowtech (my bow of choice) doesn't mean it is the best for you. Shoot anything you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Do you go buy a car just because every else likes it
No or at least I hope
You need to test drive it
Shoot everything you can
I know PSE makes a good bow but my hoyt feels better to me
My buddy shoots a mathews and hates the feel of my hoyt
Its his choice as it is yours

·
Super Moderator
7,994 Posts
Bunky said:
www.Archerytalk.com is a great place to look----Tomorrow I will finally have my new bow on its way here ---- I went with a Hoyt Alphamax 32 with a 50-60 lbweight and a 27.5 draw. With it I had the dealer installa QAD Pro Series camo HD drop away rest , HHA DS 5519 Sight, 3.5 inch scoil stabilizer, peep, and string loop..........Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me!
HHA sights are AWESOME!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with TDD. Don't get caught up in the label or model. A bow that "fits" one guy may not feel right to someone else. Good examples of that are brace height and weight. It's entirely personal preference.

The only considerations that I would have other than how it feels would be noise and most of the modern bows are pretty quiet.

·
Registered
487 Posts
the z7 is more hunter friendly with a 7 inch brace height, which means more foregiveness if your shooting form isnt perfect. i believe the xlr8 has a 5.5 inch bace height, much less foregiving but more speed. more of a 3D bow in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Unless your form is flawless, I agree with lipcurl- the XLR8 was Mathews answer to the IBO circuit that wanted more speed.

Ask yourself these questions:
1) who is going to service the bow (you or the proshop)?
2) If it's the proshop- how far are you willing to drive on a regular basis for help?
3)What is your price point?- Figure the cost of the bow plus ball park $350 for site, rest, release, stabilizer, wrist sling, arrows, peep, etc.
FINALLY 4)Which bow does this proshop sell that fits me the best and I can afford?

That is the bow you buy!!!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Great advise-----unless you have one of those plastic cards the wife doesnt know about and a post office box the bill can go to as well....LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts