The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new pair of knee high boots. I have a lot of Mucks and been fairly happy with them. I get a few years of hard use out of each pair. I noticed Lacrosse makes a few similar boots. Obviously the Aeroheads, and a newer one, the 4x Alpha. Does anyone have experience with the Lacrosse boots compared to the Mucks? The Aeroheads get fairly good reviews, I'm just curious about durability with hard use. I can't find much on the 4x Alphas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Lacrosse AlphaBurleys. It's my 2nd full season with them. They're 800 gr. Thinsulate. They've held up well, but there are a few issues. One, they're MASSIVE-to qualify that, they are size 14. However, they're pretty ornery and bulky to move. I use a scent free tote and they're almost too big to carry on top of the tote when moving them from the porch to the truck. Two, the camo pattern faded pretty quickly. Another mea culpa, I store them during the season on my back porch (screened in) and it's western facing. However, the amount of damage to the pattern for sitting outside for less than 3 months is a bit surprising.

All of that being said, the company makes a fine boot. The tightening mechanism at the top of the boot is easy to use and super functional. They are wonderfully comfortable, and do a good job keeping my feet warm.

The bulkiness of the boot does make it difficult to use with a climber, so if you use one of those, maybe a boot with a slimmer profile would do the trick. They're great with the ladder stands, however.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Honestly, I buy the cheapest yet quality boots I can get when it comes to rubber boots. They just don't last and I refuse to spend $150+ on a good pair of boots to get only two seasons out of them.

I've been happy with Cabela's boots over the years. Muck have always developed leaks/cracks within 2 years. Lacrosse have always developed leaks/cracks within 2 years. So have the Cabela's....BUT they cost half as much. I generally buy them on sale mid-winter. Usually it's a neoprene upper model with 800-1000g insulated model for around $70.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a pair of lacrosse knee highs last yer, spent a pretty penny but they are the favorite boot I've owned. I was skeptical about knee high rubber boots because I do a ton of hiking in to spot and wasn't sure how snug and supportive they would be, but they are great.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I have a new pair of the Alpha Burly's in 800 gram. I like them. The Aerohead rubber seemed a bit thin compared to the Alpha Burly. I have torn the rubber while walking through a thicket in a pair of Muck Pursuit Extreme boots. I also have a pair of Kamik Hunstman boots that I wear and I like. The Kamik boots are made in the USA and run about $100.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you store your boots in a sealed plastic garbage bag after the season they will last longer and won't develop cracks as easily.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I got a pair of the aerohead last year. I found them in the bargain cave at cabelas for $90. Return w minimal wear. Love em. A little bulky but I like the fit and comfort. Would recommend. My last were Irish Setter w the heel gimmicky thing. Lasted about 3 years. Muck chores for around the house. Lacrosse best of all to me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I can vouch for Under Amours knee high boots. Had the Muck Boots and would never go back. Not to mention you can't beat UA's warranty. I returned a pair of boots that sprung a leak (hiking boots, not knee-highs) a year after I ordered them. They gave me the option of a full refund, store credit, or replacement - no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have both mucks and the alphaburly's. I use my mucks for early season and lacrosse for 40 and below temps. The alpha's are a little bulky, but super comfortable and warm. I like the looks of some of the new rocky knee highs, but they're a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
one additional note, the MOST comfortable and warm boots I've ever worn were muck artics. They've changed the style since, but they used to have blaze orange inside. I was amazed with them, but I was borrowing them from a friend.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have had the same pair of lacrosse alphaburlys for about 8 years now and they are still fine...i put a lot of miles on them but i finally broke down and get a new pair of Irish setter rutmasters for $78

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just purchased the Muck Arctic Pro's. Pretty awesome. Very comfortable and they work well with my climber. Probably the most comfortable boots I have ever worn.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the look of the Kamik's, and I like the fact that they are Made in the USA.............I might get a pair of them to try.....

As far as the Mucks, I have 4 pairs now, 2 steeltoe pair for work, the chores and Arctic Pro......

And 2 pairs I wear for outdoors, 1 Woody Max, and 1 Woody Elite.......they are both in pretty bad shape, the soles separated from the boots.....I aqua sealed them but they still let a lot of cold air in.....

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just ordered a pair of Kamik Bushman boots off of Amazon for $63 dollars, for that price I don't have much to lose by trying them out.........If I don't like them I'll just get a pair of Mucks again

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm a fan of the Lacrosse Alpha Burly SideZip...I have had several pairs over the years and I like the flexibility of the side zipper.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I bought the lacrosse aeroheads and love them. first boot that keeps my feet warm. and i've used 1400 and 2000 gram thinsulate rockies for years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts