The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strongly considering a new (south carolina made) Model 70 or T3. Any thoughts on those two appreciated. Probably going to get it in .308.

I've handled both, and even owned a model 70 for a time. Just looking for someone to bring up some issues (good or bad) that I have not thought of. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The T3 will be lighter, cost less, and has a good chance of being more accurate. It comes with rings. Downsides of a T3 are the magazines are around $75 each, and it is not a Winchester.
The Model 70 is an excellent rifle.
Try handling each and see which one feels best.
No bad choices here.

·
Registered
503 Posts
M-70 = UAS made I have shot both in 06 and they were about as accurate ( 70 was a Featherweight and I liked the feel of it better)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
model 70 win my fav gun of all. Have one in 7wsm and it will shoot sub 1" groups if i do my part. Never shot or handled the t3 but have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Pretty easy decision for me too..

I'll take the one size fits all, foreign made, here!!

The Winchesters are an American icon no doubt, but wonder how many know that they are built in the U.S. by a foreign company?? Time will tell if the "new" Winnies will carry on the Winchester tradition??

·
Banned
751 Posts
I HAVE TWO T3S AND TWO WINCHESTERS. THE T3S TRIGGER IS ALOT EASIER TO ADJUST AND BOTH OF MINE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CREEP. MY 25-06 T3 HUNTER OUT OF THE BOX WITH MY FIRST LOAD WORKUP WAS A 4 SHOT 1 1/4 INCH GROUP. MY 308 T3 HUNTER SHOOTS UNDER AN INCH WITH 4 SHOTS. I THINK THE T3 $ FOR $ IS A MUCH BETTER DEAL. AND ALSO AS MENTIONED BEFORE AS LONG AS YOUR SCOOPE IS 44 MM OR SMALLER OBJECTIVE THE T3 COMES WITH RINGS WHICH SAVES YOU ANOTHER $50 OR $60 DOLLARS. AS FAR AS THE USA MADE VS IMPORTS, TAKE AN ECONOMICS COURSE AND YOU WILL REALIZE THAT WITHOUT COMPETION OUR PRICES WOULD BE HIHER THAN THEY ALREADY ARE.T3S ARE A BETTER BANG FOR THE BUCK, JUST MY OPPINION.

·
Registered
695 Posts
M70 all the way.

In my opinion, the Win m70 is the best all around (affordable) rifle made. The reminington 700 close behind. This is excluding the wbys and the kimbers etc...

·
Registered
503 Posts
erinreed said:
I HAVE TWO T3S AND TWO WINCHESTERS. THE T3S TRIGGER IS ALOT EASIER TO ADJUST AND BOTH OF MINE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CREEP. MY 25-06 T3 HUNTER OUT OF THE BOX WITH MY FIRST LOAD WORKUP WAS A 4 SHOT 1 1/4 INCH GROUP. MY 308 T3 HUNTER SHOOTS UNDER AN INCH WITH 4 SHOTS. I THINK THE T3 $ FOR $ IS A MUCH BETTER DEAL. AND ALSO AS MENTIONED BEFORE AS LONG AS YOUR SCOOPE IS 44 MM OR SMALLER OBJECTIVE THE T3 COMES WITH RINGS WHICH SAVES YOU ANOTHER $50 OR $60 DOLLARS. AS FAR AS THE USA MADE VS IMPORTS, TAKE AN ECONOMICS COURSE AND YOU WILL REALIZE THAT WITHOUT COMPETION OUR PRICES WOULD BE HIHER THAN THEY ALREADY ARE.T3S ARE A BETTER BANG FOR THE BUCK, JUST MY OPPINION.
Yea tell that to a hungry American family so much for your economic class we need to support our base as much as possible. Yes the company may have roots else were but the people in the factories are Red, White, and Blue.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
the Bang for the buck is why unemployment is 10% or better. I know guys will jump all over me but i can take it.... It's like Ford F150 best sellin truck for last 35 yrs. but you always get someone talkin up their Toyota. made in usa by americans but profits go back to Japan..... I know at the gun club i belong to most guns are in order like this 700Rem. Savage( bang for buck) Ruger, Win. and from what i've been hearin guys are goin for the Marlin's yesterday's 110's .. I try for USA if you can find it.....later

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'll put my hard earned money into a product that performs flawlessy, retains value, and will last me as long as possible. I look at vehicles and firearms as investments, not something I'm gonna have for a year or 2 than send down the road. I've got a Ford truck in the driveway as well as a Toyota 4Runner
. I've also got way more Remmy's, Rugers, Savages and Winchesters than Tikkas, Brownings or Weatherbys. Put a quality product out at an affordable, competitive price, and I will always give it a shot!!

But to the question the OP asked, in my opinion, the Tikkas are a better rifle at this time..

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Well my Ford is 9 yrs. old and my wife'sExpedition is 6yrs. old both good investments. Havein a ford and a Toyota seems like a wash. My Ruger mod. 77 is37 yrs. old bought new in 73 and i know it shoots as well or better then Tikka guns. Also have Ruger mark II shoots better then i can. If it's ok for you and your thinkin do it, me i'll keep buyin Rem.s, Ruger's.....later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts