The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm seriously ready to take the plunge and upgrade to a new boat. I have been looking at both the Lowe stryker 16 or crestliner storm 1600 with a 50 hp mercury.

Both boats are 16' long with a 55" bottom How shallow can I run? I fish both the Juniata a Susquehanna fairly regular, but I also fish raystown and other lakes, so I'm kinda interested only in a prop motor. I'm currently running a prop on a 14' jon 9.9 and I'm limited sometimes during low water in the middle of the summer. I simply go someplace else.

Anybody running 40 hp and 50 hp props on the rivers?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
make sure, whatever you go with, to get a prop guard. They're priceless on the rivers. I think either boat would only draft about 4-6", but it's the motor that will limit the depth

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
make sure, whatever you go with, to get a prop guard. They're priceless on the rivers. I think either boat would only draft about 4-6", but it's the motor that will limit the depth
Ben's right. On rivers and back waters a prop guard will save you a ton in the long run. Every fly in fishing trip I have been on in Canada every boat has a prop guard. I was really glad because I hit a lot of rocks at slow speeds I didn't even think were there.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree on the prop guard. Its the motor I'm kinda concerned about. A 50 hp is a lot of weight to hang on the back of a 16' boat. I'm considering going to a 20 or 25 hp, but it will probably struggle to get on plane so I'm told? There are a few places I'll run it up on both rivers, where I know the river, other places I ease it through. There probably is no boat that is perfect for both lake and river fishing, just trying to find the happy medium.

With the rivers being blown out because of the weather, I need a boat I can put in at raystown this weekend and be back on the susky 2 weeks from now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Depends on how much your willing to spend to get the results you want.
Here in Florida, skinny water (very shallow) fishing is very popular especially in the salt water.
Most boats are fiberglass, designed for the purpose, and known as flats skiffs.
Engines are often mounted on what is known as a Jackplate, which verticly raises the motor allowing it to run in very shallow water.
You do need whats known as a shallow water pickup installed on the motor also so that it pumps water.
Many of these specialized skiffs like the Mitzi, or the Dragonfly and many others are used with 20 to 40 hp motors and tiller steered.
The Carolina Skiff j series is also very popular for that purpose and a more reasonable approach.
Many bass fishermen here use those, which also do well with small motors, can be run in shallow water, and make for a very stable boat.
Check out the listings on Craigslist in Florida, you might find the long trip worth while.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Agree on the prop guard. Its the motor I'm kinda concerned about. A 50 hp is a lot of weight to hang on the back of a 16' boat. I'm considering going to a 20 or 25 hp, but it will probably struggle to get on plane so I'm told? There are a few places I'll run it up on both rivers, where I know the river, other places I ease it through. There probably is no boat that is perfect for both lake and river fishing, just trying to find the happy medium.

With the rivers being blown out because of the weather, I need a boat I can put in at raystown this weekend and be back on the susky 2 weeks from now.

I have a fully rigged 16'8" bass boat, With a 25hp 2 stroke. No experience on a river but on a lake it gets on plane very easy. Top speed with full gear and two adults is around 22-25mph depending on wind and waves.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info trouttime...I don't have to run fast, but I do want to be able to get up on plane, And I'm thinking maybe a 20-30 hp would be the better option for what I want.

I think the weight difference between a 30hp merc and a 50 hp merc is probably 100# a 2 stroke is also usually a little lighter than a 4 stroke.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Did you ever think of getting a jet motor 40 horse Merc is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have yes...Jet surely runs shallower...However weighing pro's and cons.

Cost more.....heavier... less efficient.. I also fish lakes....And last years low flows in the rivers a buddy of mine had trouble with sucking up grass in his, especially some areas of the Juniata below Newport....So he was limited anyhow.

But yes I have seriously considered a jet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I typed before your questions sunk in the earlier post:

How shallow can I run?
The boat is realistically going to float at least 10" or more in the back due to all the weight (motor, batteries, gas tank) with the models you mentioned. If you move some of these upfront you'll get closer to the 8" mark. Then you have a prop below the bottom of the boat so you will need at minimum foot and half of water. Another thing to remember is that with the larger motor you will probably have power trim and tilt. Great feature until you hit a rock.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jonsie I was hoping you'd eventually add your opinion.

I was figuring 18" counting boat draft and then the prop, looks like we are thinking along the same lines. The power trim is a good point, currently I run mine not locked down so it can give a little if you hit a rock, no power trim obviously.

As much as I fish the rivers maybe I should give more consideration to a jet?. For those of you that do run jets, How much problems do you have with it sucking up debris?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have an 18' seaark mod v with a mercury 45 jet. I can run 8" comfortably and down to about 4" with some puckering. The jet pump has a rockproof UHWM intake so I'm not breaking them when I do hit. The only time I suck up debris is when the leaves are falling or I hit a weedbed. You will suck up rocks if you idle through shallow water but I try to avoid that.

I would recommend you get a jet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
With jets there is a learning curve - it's almost like doing everything opposite to a prop. Shallow water I tend to go faster with a jet whereas you probably slow down with a prop. The deal is with a jet if you can float down through shallow areas means you can run it easy with a jet. Also if you get in trouble with a jet in shallow water (meaning you think it's to shallow to run thru) DON'T let off in fact give it full throttle. Your boat floats deeper than on plane so if you come off plane in these areas good chance you'll be smashing bottom. Same with grassbeds - full throttle thru them. Eventually you will suck up some debris - but it is not that big of a deal. Most times all you have to do is shut down for 20 seconds and it will float off.

Also - IMO I would not go with the boats you mentioned if you are thinking of a jet. They are heavy with terrible jet layouts plus they are not built to withstand the force of some of the impacts you WILL have. Get a cheap beater boat and learn to run it correctly. Also by then you will learn what type of steering you like. Example: I like side consoles with a prop motor but hate them with a jet - too slow of steering response for my liking. I run all summer in the Juniata from Newport to Ryde so I need quick response time. The "PUCKER" factor really comes to play when the Newport gauge is 3.4 and you are running up the Narrows to Lewistown. LOL!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Soo....what have you been thinking? To jet or not to jet? Haha

If you want to try a jet pm me and I'll let you drive mine. I will say that jets are not for everyone especially if you fish lakes or like to troll.

Maybe I can help with your decision. I'll be glad to go over the pros and cons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts