The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just got a 8 week old bluetick and need to get it ready to trail coons looking to see if anyone in punxsutawney area that has coon dawgs that are willing to let my pup run with them a lil so anybody give me a holler if u run rabbits i have a beagle too

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
8 weeks old?? Are you planning for the future or wanting to go now??? He needs a good 6+ more months imo....let him be a puppy..teach him obedience...let him run free and explore...take him for walks...haul him in the truck etc till then...

And really, training isnt tough if your dog "got it in him". If he got it 1 caged coon is all it will take....training him with other dogs may "speed up" the learning curve...but take those other dogs away and the dog often times falls on his face and has no idea how to get it done alone....i typically hunt alone except competitions...my dog gotta get it done alone or he wont be eatting my feed...

Nice to hunt with a buddy and his dog once in a while...but i dont do it regularly...and i dont start my younguns with other dogs either..just my way of doing things to ensure they are 1000% capable on their own....

Guys often hate my dogs at competitions...not uncommon for mine to run the opposite direction from the pack...if i wanted to run a pack dog id get a beagle or go down south and run bear or deer...both of.which i enjoy a ton...i just like a coon dog by himself with a coon up the tree

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i been doin all that she rides everywhere with me and i dont even think about putin her on lease and i live out on a mountain so i take her on walks and she follows but explores a lil and i didnt plan on running her til she was older anyhow until shots and could handle a mean ole ringtail and if i got a beagle if i do what to do that but thanks for the advice i do want her to be a strong independant hunter i guess time will tell tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts