The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
new to me any way. original Winchester 1885 high wall, chambered in 40-70 Ballard, made in 1893. I have had a few reproduction guns over the years but always wanted an original. what a shooter! first shot was low, moved rear sight up and second shot still low. moved again and center punched the target at 35 yards. same on steel at 50, 75 and then 100. took 2 shots at the 140 and hit 2" low 3" apart with a 12" high hold. blackpowder and cast bullet loads. very impressive rifles!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still getting used to the sights and the hard trigger. may have to have someone lighten it up for me. 140 yard steel target, 20"x 20". hopefully, I will have all the reloading supplies here this week and I can get serious!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally received the custom dies, some brass made from 40-90 sharps, blackpowder measurer, bullets ect. and made a batch of lube. reloaded 21 rounds today and hopefully I will get to shoot them in the next couple days. I am still waiting on 60 pcs of custom brass that should be here in a couple weeks, but the ones I have will work for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I had a heavy barrel original Hepburn in 40-50 sharps straight and made brass from 303 Brit cartridge cases. It was a nice little shooter. Softer recoil and pleasant to shoot. The old work horses are fun to shoot but can be mighty cantankerous in their appetite.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some updates, and I don't know if anyone else is even interested in this stuff but: I got some trigger work done and put some good sights on the gun and have been shooting it a lot. but, it just really wasn't shooting as good as we thought it should be. 3"-5" groups at 140 yards, just seemed like it should be better. fast forward, after a lot of investigating and shooting, we figured out that this rifle was built to shoot paper patch bullets. after some sight adjustments last night, I shot a 6 shot 2" group with it at 140 yards, now I am happy!!!!!! tomorrow night I will get some more loaded and send some more down range. pictures of the sights and patching bullets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
BP the rifle looks great. How do you think that peep site will be in low light conditions?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
in a dark hemlock woods, the peep isn't going to be very good. but, I am leaving on the rear sight and that will be good for as far as I can shoot in the woods. the "peep" Vernier sight is a "short range" sight for shooting out to about 600 yards. we will be going to a range soon to get it sighted in, I don't have that long of an area here.

a little history on the 40-70 Ballard cartridge: of the approx. 160,000 Winchester high wall rifles made between 1885 and 1920, only approx. 300 were made in that cartridge, which makes it a pretty rare round and somewhat difficult to find ammo for. the reloading dies are custom as well as the brass. brass can be made/reformed from other existing brass or custom brass can be made. load data and ballistics are a little scarce as well.

This rifle actually has a very unusual history. when I bought it, it was advertised as a 40-70 Ballard and I bought/paid for such. while waiting for it to arrive, I had bought some custom made ammo and other supplies for it so I was ready to shoot it when it came. when I got it, it appeared to be as advertised and I started shooting it. after having it for a couple days, I decided to remove the forend to make sure it was good and clean ect. upon removing it, I saw stamped on the underside of the barrel: REBORE ##### J.P.P.. I was stunned and pissed that I had paid a pretty good sum of money for something that wasn't what it was supposed to be. after very close examination, you could see that the barrel had a liner in it. I freaked out!!!! after I calmed down, I started an internet search on any info I could find. the seller wasn't talking and never did get back with me. so, looooong story short, I was advised to contact the Cody museum that has all of the original Winchester records to have a search done for it. I contacted them and sent $70 for the records if any were available for it. after a 5 week wait, I got conformation back that the gun was built in June of 1893 and was chambered in 38-55. it was then sent back to the factory in 1909 and rechambered/lined in 40-70 Ballard. the work order number and the number and initials stamped on the rifle match the original factory paper work, JACKPOT!!!!! So, I am being told now that the gun probably is worth more because of the original factory records and the gunsmith (J.P.P.) that performed the work. hope I haven't bored everyone too badly!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts