The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've read through a lot of forums so sorry if this is posted somewhere I missed it, I looked hard.

Anyway, I pick up my new beagle pup at 8 weeks old on June 26th.

I want him to be a house pet and run rabbits. I have about a 1/4 fenced in back yard.

I've read about starting pens but don't think I fully understand the process.

Does anyone have tips or does anyone live in Southeast district. I live near Shrewsbury and would love to know what age, when, how to run him and if I make a couple more experienced rabbit hunters that would be great and would love to run my new pup with some seasoned veterans.

Thank you all.
Dustin

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Dustin, are you the fellow that is getting the red-chocolate and white male? I will help you any way I can with training information. When you pick up the pup I will give you a paper with suggestions. I would go easy on running him with faster older dogs until he can circle and find his own rabbit. If you can find an older slower dog that has few faults and is not too competitive, you could do that some of the time. I will have tame rabbits to start pups with here at my house if you want to bring him over. Or you can buy your own rabbits and train at home. Most of the pups can be started on wild rabbits by four months. When you have him started on rabbits that's when I deer and fox break. At 8 weeks or before I start training pups to gun shots. The younger they are the less fear they will usually have. Doing this you must be careful and watch your pups reaction, as you could make them gun shy. You may also think about getting a shock collar. We can hunt together in the fall if you want.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Bpottorff will set you up for success.
Bpottorff, guess what I got in the mail a few weeks ago, as mutilated as can be but otherwise unused. Marked Return to sender.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bpottorff
Yessir and I just got your voicemail too. Really appreciate you reaching out shows a lot of character and I respect that. We will talk on the 26th! Looking forward to everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts