The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a T/C hawken flintlock that the barrel needs replaced. Love this gun. Bought it when Pennsylvania opened its first season. Is there away to buy a drop in barrel or know someone that could help me. Thanks

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
Green Mountain use to make them, but not sure if they still do. They have cut way back on their muzzleloader replacement barrels.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Track of the wolf has the 50 cal listed on backorder

·
Registered
538 Posts
Groups opening up. Tried a few things but nothing works. There’s a rough area I can feel when cleaning
If you want I could see if I can clean it up.
Other options you could get one off eBay and get a track of the wolf breech plug and put it on.
Or a rice barrell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The rifling can be refreshed or the bore can have new rifling made for a very reasonable price.
There's also barrel liners if wanting to switch to a smaller caliber.
And barrel reaming would turn it into a smoothbore.
A new barrel could also be built using your barrel components but may be more expensive.

A reputable barrel maker who does this work is:
Bob Hoyt
2379 MT Hope Rd
Fairfield PA 17320-9407
Phone 717-642-6696

Another is:

Ed Rayl Barrel Company
18 Otter Lane
Gassaway, WV 26624-1012
304-364-8269

·
Registered
7 Posts
"sun's" post about covers it.

but before that or a new barrel try 4-0 steel wool packed tight on a cleaning jag and a range rod with some JB bore cleaner on it as a fast fix for the rough spot.

if that don't get rid of the rough, make up a "lead lap" on a sturdy wood range rod also with JB's, this could take an hour or so of elbow grease but is worth it for the increase in accuracy.

barrels can get shot to the point where best accuracy is lost, usually jumping up in round ball size will shrink your groups. if using .490's try .495 or a .500 RB.
I had a .40 green mt barrel that went from a .395 then to .400 then to .402 over time and still maintained it's best groups

also different batches of patching can be very different, all .018 won't perform the same

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. Checked eBay no luck. Flintlock barrel seems to be the problem trying to find one on eBay. I’m going to try JB bore paste to try and clean up the rough spot and going to check the other options recommended. I shot patch and ball for years then switched to maxi’s seems to put deer down better. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts