The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Buddy who owns the farm I hunt and Trap on was cleaning out his basement last week...his house and Farm has been in his Family back to his Great-Grandparents to before the Civil War and he is the 1 now with the house and farm...

So he and his wife were cleaning out his basement the other day, his wife came across 4 large 5 pound cans of Bacon Bits and Chocolate Syrup that looked like it was from back in the 40s or 50s from the way the lables looked and the name of the products...they looked them over and decided not to even open them and decided they would be a Great thing to pass on to me to use for trapping bait..

I opened the 1 can of bacon bits and 1 can of chocolate Syrup and mixed them together in a 5 gallon bucket to use as coon bait..

Smells nice, like Bacon with a Sweetness to it!

I think I need something else to mix into it...

What are the suggestions?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Probably could have sold those things to a collector.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
MArk I always enjoy your questions, they are testy..... LOL What were they stored in ? However you don't need to add anything to that mix for coons........................

·
Registered
583 Posts
Never gone wrong with anise...

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doubleT said:
MArk I always enjoy your questions, they are testy..... LOL What were they stored in ? However you don't need to add anything to that mix for coons........................
They were just sitting on a shelf in his lower part of the house where the wood stove is...they were the #5 cans (5 Pounds)

I should have thought of what John S. Suggested before opening those cans..

He has a #5 can that has peaches in it but is Dented and is OLD just like the bacon bits and Chocolate Syrup was

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The cans might be worth something even if opened. However is far as coon bait just mix it up and use it

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally think it could use some jelly...didn't get any 5 gallon buckets of peanut butter this year or some of that would have been mixed in!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
your a trip woody. never know what you will do. you got on that fellow a bit for shorttening the barrel on his gun to make it easier to handle then you use collectable/antique food stuffs for coon bait

coons are little pigs. put a trap with anthing food like in front of then and they will fall for it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bobcat,

Here, I revoked it myself...

Next time someone comes up with some old tin cans that they found in an old Dump, I'm Putting them on E-bay to reinstate my man card!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts