The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i talked to the smith and he said the 338-300 (338edge) is almost complete. the man in brown also stopped by the house today with the eyes that will be on it along with the mark 4 rings. made my wife send me a few pics. the pics will have to hold me over till i get home in Nov. (you know you have gone crazy when you have your wife send you a pic of a scope you can get off of the internet). lol

since this gun is being built for long range i decided that it would need some glass to see as far as i will be shooting.(obviously). After a few months of debating i went with a new LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.5-25X50 LRT. it has M1 turrets and TMR (tactical milling reticle). here's a pic of the new pride and joy! (lone tear roles down face
)

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
She's beautiful!!! Congrats on the great looking addition!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Very nice. Been wanting to get myself a .338 Lapua built lately but I am having a hard time justifying it with my 300rum so please shoot some stuff and extreme long range and sell me on the .338!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
limb, thanks.

matt, will get the reports up in November sometime after i get home. it should be a shooter

adam, its easy to sell you on a 338. a 338edge is none other than a 300rum necked up to a 338. it has advantages over the 338lapua and the 300 rum and 338rum. the 300rum case necked up can hold more powder than the 338rum (98gr is the hottest in an edge)(i will be using 94gr of H1000). the advantage over the lapua balllistically is minimal(about 3%), but the main advantage is the cost too shoot the edge. it cost no more than it would to reload for a 300 rum. the advantage over the 300rum is that it holds more powder and allows you to shoot a 300gr bullet. also, most wildcats need to be fire formed whereas the edge does not. your 300rum would be a great platform for building one, all you would basicall have to do is ream for the chamber, no mods to the bolt face are needed since it will be a 300rum case. i own the reamer, if you would be interested in an edge build let me know. -- tom

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I am putting together a 300 RUM for long range shooting myself. Remington Sendero SF II. Cant afford the high dollar glass at this point but eventually would like to put a Vortex Viper PST on it.

Doing load development with 210 Berger VLDs and Hornady 208 A-Max.

Maybe when the barrel is shot out of this I could have a new barrel installed for the edge, but not just yet.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i heard nothing but good reviews on the vortex viper pst. i get a 35% discount from msrp from vortex. but i can only buy one scope at that discount. im gonna wait till later in the year to see if they come out with any new models. i actually got a discount from leupold for the mark 4. i paid exactly $1080.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts