The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style='font-family: Century Gothic'>I have just started bow hunting this year with my husband. i love hunting and hanging out with him, bt i feel like because I am a girl Im treated different. Any tips on hunting and being respected as a woman hunter?</span>

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
start chewing and shoot a 150 plus the first morning
just kidding..i know a couple of my buddys wifes hunt and it dont bother me at all..i would just respect you because you are hunting
good luck and dont worry about it..just focus on the shot !

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1
big cow down 80 said:
i would just respect you because you hunting
good luck and dont worry about it..just focus on the shot !
"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent"
(-Eleanor Roosevelt)

Get out there; enjoy your surroundings and do what you wanted to do... get involved in a sport that brings your hubby and you together on a new level.
to [censored] with everyone else

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Everyone gets it. Don't worry too much about that!! Just relax, and take your best shot. Good luck!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
kstewart said:
Thanks...im really excited about Saturday,Im afraid i will get buck fever tho
Don't rush a shot. If you don't feel comfortable or are too nervous, don't shoot.

Shoot only at relaxed deer. Not one that seems to sense that something is up.

A relaxed deer is less likely to jump the string and result in a high hit. Aim low and if they don't jump, you hit the heart, if they jump and you have aimed low, you hit the lungs.

Getting comfortable around deer when they are close in, when bowhunting, is the hard part. Get over some of that nervousness and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get where you are coming from.....this is my first year hunting and I received permission to hunt some land that only allows about 8 hunters to hunt, me being the one and only girl. I feel just a little intimidated by all of them since they have hunted there before and here comes some girl. Maybe I won't even run into them, but hopefully they will accept me as someone who just loves shooting a bow!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think you'll find that most men are very welcoming and supportive of new women hunters and will make an effort to make your hunts go well.

Whether its a kid or a woman, we all like to see new hunters in the field.

·
Banned
751 Posts
IN MY CAMP IF YOU DO NOT ACT ANY DIFFERENT YOU DO NOT GET TREATED ANY DIFFERENT. AS SOON AS YOU START ASKING PEOPLE TO GUT YOUR DEER AND TO DRAG YOUR DEER THEN YOU WILL BE TREATED DIFFERENTLY THAN THE REST OF THE PACK. I HAVE HUNTED WITH WOMEN, ( NOT YOUNG GIRLS), WHO WANT TO BE TREATED THE SAME BUT DO NOT WANT TO GET INVOLVED WITH ANY OF THE DIRTY WORK, HANGING STANDS, FIELD DRESSING, SCOUTING, DRAGGING THE DEER, ETC. THEY WANT TO SHOW UP SHOOT A DEER AND THEN PICK IT UP AT THE BUTCHER. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TREATED DIFFERENT.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
And I have no problem whatsoever doing those things for a woman. Just like they have no problem doing the "dirty" work for us men, like cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping etc.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Awsome that you took up the sport. Enjoy the time you guys will spend afield. Most men I know do not mind my wife is around our camp at all. Most feel that it is good. We have more time afield than if one of us only hunted. My wife and I have many fond memories already from just a few years of hunting. With many more to come she will probably become my best hunting buddy one day

·
Administrator
39,021 Posts
Dutch said:
And I have no problem whatsoever doing those things for a woman. Just like they have no problem doing the "dirty" work for us men, like cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping etc.
I was thinking the same thing!
Wife does help with some of the dirty work though like cutting up, and packing the meat.She also said she wanted to gut her first deer!

·
Registered
504 Posts
kstewart said:
Thanks...im really excited about Saturday,Im afraid i will get buck fever tho
You no doubt will suffer from buck fever it has happen to most of us hunters who will admit it, from time to time. Usually happens to me after mine is down & I have it gutted. I have a look at the deer laying their & see all the backstraps,steaks,roast,tenderloins,ground venison that I am going to be enjoying. I have hand shake so bad I have trouble putting my knife back in my belt sheath. It's a passing thing, Just enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
erinreed said:
IN MY CAMP IF YOU DO NOT ACT ANY DIFFERENT YOU DO NOT GET TREATED ANY DIFFERENT. AS SOON AS YOU START ASKING PEOPLE TO GUT YOUR DEER AND TO DRAG YOUR DEER THEN YOU WILL BE TREATED DIFFERENTLY THAN THE REST OF THE PACK. I HAVE HUNTED WITH WOMEN, ( NOT YOUNG GIRLS), WHO WANT TO BE TREATED THE SAME BUT DO NOT WANT TO GET INVOLVED WITH ANY OF THE DIRTY WORK, HANGING STANDS, FIELD DRESSING, SCOUTING, DRAGGING THE DEER, ETC. THEY WANT TO SHOW UP SHOOT A DEER AND THEN PICK IT UP AT THE BUTCHER. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TREATED DIFFERENT.
I have hunted with MEN who don't know how to track deer (let alone make a good shot), have located their deer for them, and have even dragged deer out for MEN. Should they not hunt?

You need to get a clue.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I don't expect to be treated differently because I'm a woman. Anyone I hunt with certainly won't see me filing my nails when it comes time to do the dirty work. I love to get dirty just remember that!
When my brother shot his second doe last year, I was front and center tracking it, I told him I'd like to gut it but... I'll admit, I made him drag it cuz it was technically "his" deer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
tips - have fun and make the most of each trip to the woods!!! I dont think deer know what gender sends an arrow dow the way.... so why then would it matter to anyone else. Good luck, have fun, and even after 20 years of hunting, I still get wound pretty tight when a buck, and even a doe comes towards me

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
kstewart said:
I have just started bow hunting this year with my husband. i love hunting and hanging out with him, bt i feel like because I am a girl Im treated different. Any tips on hunting and being respected as a woman hunter?
Have fun, be ethical, and just be yourself. If its a big camp or hunting party be prepared to get your chops busted, but give back as good as you get. All newbies get razzed by the older hunters it's like a tradition.

My Mom hunted into her 60's, now she goes to Florida once the leaves start turning and it got too much for her. I've been doing well and sees she still gets venison when she comes back in the spring.

#1 rule when hunting is to sit still deer pick up on movement very easily ... just swatting a bug or scratching your nose can get you busted by a deer. If you hear something come up behind you look with your eyes before you turn your head and turn it slowly.

BTW ... I've been hunting 25+ years and still get buck fever when I see a nice buck ... if the day ever comes where I don't get buck fever I'll quit hunting and just fish, but I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i hung my tree stand and have been helping with what ever my husband needs...i did help him gut his doe when he shoot it a few weeks ago. I am really enjoying everything about it! its truely no fun of you dont go all the way and learn all you can

1 - 20 of 21 Posts