The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post I mentioned that I planning on turning down the poundage on my bow and increasing the weight of my arrows. That said I am wondering what is everyone's choice for arrows?

Right now I shoot CE Maxima (7.9 gpi) with a 100 gr head. I was thinking it would be better for to be over 8.5 gpi. Just looking for suggestions on some arrows to check out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Full Metal Jacket 320 spine 29 1/2 inch arrow 100 grain slick trick blazer vanes 500 grain arrow weight, you could go with a 340 spine also.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
What’s your finished arrow length and what poundage are you planning to shoot?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This is almost embarrassing! This old dinosaur still uses Easton XX75. Even switched my Xbow over to them simply because I believe they do a better job.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
When I go bear hunting I use 2314's and 125 grain broadheaads. I know the shot will only be 20 yds so speed isn't needed. Although iv'e never had a shot at one, I want to be ready if a 500#'er comes in.

·
Registered
858 Posts
This is almost embarrassing! This old dinosaur still uses Easton XX75. Even switched my Xbow over to them simply because I believe they do a better job.
Them XX75 Easton arrows were all I ever used too they seemed to be a more forgiving arrow in my compound bow. Now, I've got the 20" carbon Headhunter arrows (oops) Bolts for my Barnett Xbow they are made by Easton too.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I also have a Barnett, a C5 Wildcat. It came with Headhunters, but the XX75 with 100 Crushers was an exact clone of target tip accuracy, hence the change.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
I'm still using XX75s too, and I'm not embarrassed at all. 😎
Being in Germany for 13 out of 15 years, and archery hunting verboten there,I didn't keep up on all the changes in archery gear. I'm still shooting my Alpine Teton Lite bought in 1998 with 2213 and/or 2413 XX75 arrows with the NAP Hellrazor 100gr broadhead. The bow shoots both of those shafts equally well, and they've both made several deer and elk equally dead.

I'm contemplating switching to a carbon or carbon/aluminum shaft this year to pick up a little speed, so I came looking for info here and found this thread. I've been considering the Easton FMJ or Bloodline shafts. Any input on those, or other shafts, would be appreciated.

If I don't make the switch in the next week or so, I'll just stick with the old tried and true aluminums. I'm also considering a new bow this Winter, and I'm sure I'll set it up with more modern arrows. Maybe. That Alpine might be old, but she got several years of rest whilst I shot those little German deer with the .308. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Been shooting fmj for years. They hit hard and penetrate well, easier to pull from target than carbon. I shoot the 6mm so i can use regular inserts instead of hit inserts. I shoot 390 spine with 50 grain brass inserts at 60lb. 100 grain slick trick.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have my Bear Wild set at 67# and use Beeman ICS Realtree Hunter Camo with a 300 spine (9.6 GPI) at 31" in length. Broadhead is 125gr Dead Meat. These arrows were discontinued and replaced by Easton Hunter Classic 6.5 (9.5 GPI). They are very accurate and point of impact is the same with the Dead Meat broadheads as is with 125gr field points uses for practice.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've got Beman arrows for both of my setups at the moment, and have been happy with their performance thus far. 340 ICS White Out (8.8gpi) with 100gr Muzzys out of one (total weight ~426gr) and 340 Bone Collector (9.5gpi) with 125gr Slick Trick Mags out of the other (total weight ~482gr). Both bows have 60lb limbs with 30" draw.

The Bemans seem to be priced very well from most retailers, with mostly positive reviews.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
I've got Beman arrows for both of my setups at the moment, and have been happy with their performance thus far. 340 ICS White Out (8.8gpi) with 100gr Muzzys out of one (total weight ~426gr) and 340 Bone Collector (9.5gpi) with 125gr Slick Trick Mags out of the other (total weight ~482gr). Both bows have 60lb limbs with 30" draw.

The Bemans seem to be priced very well from most retailers, with mostly positive reviews.
Why am I surprised that your draw weight is only 60lbs? Would have thought you'd be in the 80# range. 😃
Wise man, as 60 is more than enough for most North American big game.

I just ordered the Easton FMJ, 6mm 390. Draw weight is approx. 62 lbs. with a 27 1/2 inch draw.
Hoping to stick with the 100 gr Hellrazors, really like their performance and durability, but if they don't fly as well with these shafts I'll adjust as needed.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Why am I surprised that your draw weight is only 60lbs? Would have thought you'd be in the 80# range. 😃
Wise man, as 60 is more than enough for most North American big game.
I'm a bit on the small, weak side and I'm afraid an 80lb draw would likely overwhelm me😂

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
I ordered a dozen 390 6mm FMJs. Planning to stick with 100gr NAP Hellrazors, provided they fly as true as they did on my XX75s.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
New setup for me this year. 300 spine Goldtip XT Hunters, 100 grain brass insert and 150 grain Magnus Buzzcuts. Total arrow weight at 545 grains and an 18.5 FOC.
They fly like darts from my Switchback 28", 63 lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts