The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
It's called the Modular Handgun System and after reading that article, I see nothing "modular" about it...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
They should have stuck with the M1911 45 ACP. I carried one for a time as a secondary weapon in the Army. I qualified expert with it. Great firearm!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's called the Modular Handgun System and after reading that article, I see nothing "modular" about it...
the FCG can come out of it and it can be used with any caliber. The grips can be interchanged with any size slide and barrel and can be used across multiple calibers. pretty modular if you think about it.

want a full size 9mm pistol for range practice and then switch it over to a .357 sig with a full size barrel and slide with a compact frame? done.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
the FCG can come out of it and it can be used with any caliber. The grips can be interchanged with any size slide and barrel and can be used across multiple calibers. pretty modular if you think about it.

want a full size 9mm pistol for range practice and then switch it over to a .357 sig with a full size barrel and slide with a compact frame? done.
Yeah, I just finally saw an article with that information. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Its funny to me that the FCG/ frame is just sort of like a little part that probably costs little to make. By the time you buy all the different barrels, grips, slides, etc... you probably ---- near just could have just purchased a whole other gun.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Good choice! Sig makes a fine pistol.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
For a grunt pistol, I woulda stuck with a 1911. The 320 is a solid firearm though, just hope it can keep up with the abuse a line grunt will give it.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sig was actually the gun recommended by the team that did the testing when the 1911 was replaced by the Beretta 92. Political considerations was the final determining factor.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts

All of these options are fine but how will a military supply system stock and issue all, or any, of them to troops? So each soldier / fire team / squad / platoon / yada yada gets to choose from the options available?
Options shmoptions. IMHO options should not be a criteria for choosing an individual weapon that will be used in combat. I can't even imagine how options as to caliber would appeal to any supply chain not to mention a detachment of Military Police.
This is not directed at you there Adam.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep hearing from various gun videos that the army chose the 9mm version. So I'm not really sure why the pistol being modular was a priority if they knew they just want 9mm.

I guess it remains to be seen.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I keep hearing from various gun videos that the army chose the 9mm version. So I'm not really sure why the pistol being modular was a priority if they knew they just want 9mm.

I guess it remains to be seen.
Their "modular" requirement refers to grip panels, safety location, lights etc.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
From what I've seen so far, the 320 has multiple frame sizes, AND multiple grip sizes on those frames. Plus multiple caliber options & barrel/slide lengths on top of those. Obviously, a "medium" sized grip, full size frame 9mm is what most will get, but may suit the spec ops guys some of the time w/ options, smaller frames/grips for the little handed guys/women in the squad, short, lighter weapons for the officers who may never use them and carry them around all the time just in case, etc. I picked up a 320 frame some time ago for $20 slightly used off a dealer at a show...pretty cheap - it's just plastic. I'm sure they put em thru the wringer on torture testing too. Swapping the fire control group is cool, and looks like Ruger is on the same path with the American pistol line, but probably a little too late for this go round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts