The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the setup.
I do most of my deer hunting in Potter County, the Conrad area. Been hunting there since the mid 70’s. If you have hunted that area you know that you can find yourself 1 to 3 miles from a road pretty quickly. The issue is not antler restriction, I started practicing that long before it was mandated. Deer population very low for a lot of reasons, that’s a whole other topic. I have been lucky enough to harvest a 9 point last year and a 7 point this year, both being respectable not huge 15” or so inside spreads.

The problem
The problem is twofold size of the deer and my age. These buck were both in the 140 pound range field dressed. I was lucky enough not being way back in where I have shot buck in the past. Dragging uphill would not have been an option alone.

I was just wondering if any of you are experiencing this problem?

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Yep. At age 70 it isn't as easy as it used to be.

Fortunately I have a couple of younger guys who hunt with me who insist upon my carrying a radio and they come to help me drag mine out when I get one. What was it Crocodile Dundee said about "Mates?" They are pretty handy to have around at such times.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I also hunt by myself and a deer cart is the best thing there is at my age.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
The Unstated Problem

The universal problem of hunters as we age. Hunters aging into their thirties, forties and fifties and more, and still hunting.
It's not the area of a 20 year old fit paratrooper.

Unless we maintain our physical fitness, we'll become like the many Americans who gained twenty pound or more in the last ten years and are getting more and more out of shape.
They have no problems of dragging a deer out of the woods; hauling a climbing tree stand into and out of the woods; climbing trees. Most Americans have hikes scheduled for the local convenient store or mall.

Why an old man of forty could get lost in a forest?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Its not just Potter county...I hunt in 4a and I was about 1.85 miles from the vehicle when I shot my 11 point this year. He was massive weighed in at 165lbs dressed out. My dad was with me but the drag was awful...It wasnt up hill it was flat but thick with little trail most of the way...I shot him at 10:45 and we didnt get that deer out of there until 6:00pm

I am 32 my dad is 60...If i was there by myself it would have been midnight...That deer was a mature beast...It was just hard to move. Lets say i invested in a deer cart although i dont know how much it would help and I got a drag sled this year too.

Although I hated being that far back in...I will hunt there again although...I have decided another buck that big will be Quartered and taken out on backpack. That is one thing to consider get a rack pack and some Alaskan game bags.

I do agree though bucks are getting heavier I wish there would be a way for the GC or DCNR to open a few more roads on the First day and the saturdays to give guys a fighting chance. Maybe the only way to use the road would be for game recovery or something. Where I hunt there are usually roads just they are all gated.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
it has affected my hunting for sure. i never had a problem walking way back in, down the mountain hollows for deer. now i very carefully consider my spots. some spots are "nice buck only" spots. others are "anything legal" spots. deer carts don't help much where i hunt. to many rocks and logs. i will be heading to camp in two weeks to scout some "nice buck only" spots way down a ridge from the parking area. all uphill drag through 20 year old trees. the quartering thing sounds good in theory but is tough to do without skinning them first and not making a mess of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, this post was just poking some fun at us aging hunters. A cart really dosen’t work in the areas I hunt as well, to steep, no roads of any sort.

Wishing a happy and prospers New Year to all. Please don’t forget don’t measure your hunt by the meat in the freezer, take the time and really see what the big guy has provided us with, enjoy the fellowship, these memories will be there long after the meat is gone.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
boomboom726 said:
I do agree though bucks are getting heavier I wish there would be a way for the GC or DCNR to open a few more roads on the First day and the saturdays to give guys a fighting chance. Maybe the only way to use the road would be for game recovery or something. Where I hunt there are usually roads just they are all gated.
Be careful what you wish for. If they would open the roads then you have lots of company and then you would ask...why all the hunters?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
The body of a mature buck is impressive...especially compared to a 1.5yo buck...longer bodies plus the extra weight make for a tough drag for sure....

I'm lucky enough to be young and in good health and pretty fit when it comes to hunting and dragging...

Easier to gut though! Lots of room in there compared to a young buck or doe!

Seems 3.5+yo bucks have a much different body structure than younger deer...pretty impressive to look at...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I knew it, it was just a matter of time when the complaints went from no deer to the deer being too big.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
John S said:
I knew it, it was just a matter of time when the complaints went from no deer to the deer being too big.
You have to know that there are always going to be something wrong with our deer herd..Not there, to small and now TOO BIG!!!!
Dang that PGC!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
boomboom726 said:
Be careful what you wish for. If they would open the roads then you have lots of company and then you would ask...why all the hunters?
Ohh I know and I would rather deal with the drag and have more woods to myself. The problem with opening roads even just for recovery of animals is that it would be abused beyond belief...I could see guys getting dropped off way back in etc. So vehicles wouldnt be parked on the recovery roads but guys would still get back in there.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
all opening more roads does it lead to more roadhunting, which is already out of control!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
This goes off of a similar post, but next time I shoot a deer way back in I am going to quarter it and pack it out. No use killing yourself trying to drag out a deer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a quad and i don't know how or why we humped our stands and deer out before,I know you can't use them everywhere but [censored] i wish i had bought mine 20 yrs ago. Used as a tool and only to transport deer they are great!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Deuce280 said:
This goes off of a similar post, but next time I shoot a deer way back in I am going to quarter it and pack it out. No use killing yourself trying to drag out a deer.

Yeah I already got the pack and the game bags for xmas this year. Definately the way to go. I am pretty sure my deer would have been back to the truck by about 230 instead of 6pm and I wouldnt have hurt nearly as bad the next day

1 - 20 of 50 Posts