The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just needed to tell you guys about the deal I think I got last night. Smith & Wesson Model 629-1 44mag stainless with 8inch barrel topped with a stainless 2X Leupold Scope. Also got 6 full boxes of 240GR bullets and a holster. Gun is all but new, functions well. I paid $525 to a good friend, I couldn't pass up the deal. I read a few past posts about a few of you taking the 44mag for deer, but have any of you taken pics of the after math? I would like to hear a few accounts, opinions and results of deer hunting with the 44 mag.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, so I did good then? I had done some looking and saw the gun going for close to a grand on its own. When he mentioned all the other items, I couldn't resist. I actually gave him an extra $20 because I was sure I was making a killin already! Guess I should consider dinner as well.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
This was a doe I took last year. Shot was about 75yds. She didn't go very far from where she was hit. I've taken several deer with a handgun. Had it out on the first day, but didn't see anything. Been hunting with my rifle during the week, but will probably take out the SRH on Fri & Sat.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I shot three antlerless deer with a Ruger SuperRed hawk 9 1/2 barrel. I was using Hornady 300gr XTPs. All three were within 20yards. The one deer I hit it above the left shoulder with a slight angle down, it completely took off the right leg at the shoulder. It never took a step.I did have a scope on it for 9 years, never even got to pull the Ruger up. Then one deer season I was eating lunch with my sister and we took the scope off. 10 mins after she left, I shot my third deer with it. All of my shots the barrel was either on my backpack or against a tree for a good solid rest. The other two never took a step after the shot. The one had a exit hole 5inches round. The other had no exit hole, but the lungs and bottom half of heart was jelly. Never did find the bullet.

Hunting with a pistol is a great way to hunt. Have fun!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to it. I figure I can practice after the season and hopefully be comfortable enough with it by the opening of our farm tag season in March.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the same gun with a 1.5 x 5 Burris scope. I used to hunt with it a lot when the antlerless season was a 3 day separate season from the 2 week antlered season. I took two doe at about 150 yards and one at about 60 yards. I shot that gun a lot and the 240 grain bullets dropped about 16" at 150 yards. I could aim 6" over hair and hit spot on.
A 44 mag is not overpowering, especially at longer range, but the large frontal area of the bullet puts a heap of hurt'in on a deer. One of the 150 yard deer dropped on the spot. The other 150 yard deer ran about 60 yards, but was found dead. The one I hit a 60 yards ran about 100 yards and required a finishing shot. It was hit a little far back, but not more than a few inches. They are easy to carry, but I recommend finding a rest or carrying a shooting stick, to steady your shots. I missed a few deer that I'm sure I would have bagged with a rifle, but that's part of the challenge of handgun hunting.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
This post has me thinking now to maybe take my Dan Wesson VH10 .44 mag out on saturday!! The DW is the one at the top of the picture.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
$525 is a steal....

Killed a doe a few years back with a 629 Clasic 8 3/8"... one word... WOW!!!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I've got about a half dozen handgun kills now, and other than hitting one in the spine(& needing a follow up) I don't see the "knockdown" power a lot of people seem to get. I shoot them in the chest, & stay away from bone. They typically run 20-60 yds before going down, very similar to a bow.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I will give ya $550 for it and buy you dinner.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, not on your life buk_huntir! It would take double that and 5 dinners

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, I felt like I should have had a mask on. I actually wondered if he would really show, I was sweating while waiting in the gunshop for him! I still haven't had time to shoot it, but I am amazed at how light the trigger pull is while lowering the hammer, seems like I barely touch it and it lets loose. Well, here are the pics, enjoy!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that's what I thought when I saw it! I never looked at it before agreeing to the sale, knew it was a heck of a deal no matter what, but also knew my friend takes care of his guns, so there was no fear of disappointment.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Nice gun. The only S&W I ever shot had a sweet trigger on it. It was a 41 mag my uncle bought several years back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts