The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off...it's about darn time someone recognizes the 22mag as a viable self defense round. Hornady really upped the ante and went out on a leap of faith with this but I think it will really pay off in the end.

With good velocity even from a short barrel, the 45grain .224 caliber pill will knock the socks off any critter coyote sized and smaller. Shot from a rifle, this stuff might be my only hunting bullet if it shoots well.

similar to the .380 both in terminal performance and ballistically (from a pistol), I would not hesitate to carry this ammo for self defense - especially in something like the Keltec PMR 30...30 rounds of near 380ACP ammo at your fingertips... Hold me baaaaack! (((DROOL)))

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense

Hornady is showing 1700 fps out of a rifle and 1000fps out of a sub 2" barrel...mmmm

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I saw the .380 round was fired from a 2 3/4 inch barrel. I have to wonder how much closer the penetration would be if the .22wmr had been given the same barrel length for comparison? Very exciting new load for the great old .22wmr.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was my thought too. I'd really like to see a piece of ballistic jello with a full clip from the PMR30... and I REALLY want to see a pic of the jello from a rifle hit. that's what I'm MOST interested in.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
March 2011 has a good article that reviews 10 different 22 Magnum rounds. Shoots them from 50 yards into ballistic gelatin with a rifle.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what mag?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts