The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on saturday morning I took a big doe with my 54cal. lyman deerstalker but what happened is what puzzles me I had a group of 6 deer come up to me I got ready with my gun I left the lead doe come to 10 yrds i was on the ground and when she was broadside I left her have it she ran about 80 yrds and fell over great, now this is where I have a question I knew the deer was dead so i did not have to follow a blood trail but did anyway I noticed that there was not much blood when I got to the deer and turned her over I noticed that there was no exit hole,I thought what? I had shot several deer with this gun and never had a problem shooting through deer and this was at 10 yrds and lung only no bone was involved,when I opened the deer up I seen that the bullet exploded inside the deer which caused severe damage to the deer i cant believe she went 80 yrds the bullet that i was using was a 295 gr. powerbelt bullets raw lead hollow point i have been using this bullet for years with no problem before,is there anyone else ever have this happen to you or what do you think might have caused this to happen. thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
ive had it happen before. close range=higher impact velocity=wider expansion=less penetration. ive seen it with many calibers up to and including .45-70 and magnum loaded .50 cal in-lines. never ceases to amaze me how tough a whitetail can be.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
No doubt?! A 45-70 at close range will do the same? I'm stymied!! How far does it have to get down range before it just turns into a sledge hammer? And will it pass through then?

Curious because I'm thinking of purchasing a 45-70.

Wild story!

·
Registered
111 Posts
it has been known to happen. ive only had it happen once with the 45-70 and that was with light for caliber hollowpoints (300 gr). have had nothing but pass thrus since i changed to 405 gr softpoints and backed down the powder carge. i dont think it is a "sledge hammer" but it sure does put a nice big hole in them.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The close range means higher velocity and the hollow point did exactly what it was meant to do. It expanded and fragmented.

If you are weed to Powerbelts try the copper ones they are harder that the 'pure lead' ones and don't expand as easy.

You are already shooting a bullet that is a half-inch wide, why would you want it ecpand even more.? The more it expands the less it penetrates.

I shoot Round ball, and in 54 RB they always go thru.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Had a 295 copper hollow PB mushroom on a wall hanger. Found some blood and shards of bone after about 40yds.. Saw deer a few times while tracking and there was no exit wound. Changed to the aerotips and no issues since. NOTE: The shot was not perfect and entered into the shoulder area instead of the vitals so...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the reason I never used aerotips is because i heard a couple stories of deer being hit and they had no blood they found the deer but had no blood trail but this is what i heard if the aerotips do work I am willing to try them also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts