The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SE and SW have one but not the NE. I want to learn how to pick wild mushrooms so badly but I want an experienced shroomer to show me. I knew two guys that did it. One did it comercialy but I never had a chance to go picking with them. I don't want to know any spots. Just how to tell them apart from the bad ones and learn what kind of areas they grow in. I would love to pick for profit some day. A mushroom club would be a good way for ppl to learn how to pick. Who is in on starting an NE mushroom club? Could Hunting Pa help us? Maybe I could do something through my college. Its just a matter of finding a place to gather and areas to go picking. I know plenty. Some food, some beer. nothing special or too expensive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just today at our club clean-up, I met a man, Joe is all I know. He was telling me all the different types of Mushrooms that grow around here. He and his wife took a course at Broome community college, Near Binghamton, NY. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
ESU - here is some info about a new club formed recently in NEPA:

The Delaware Highlands Mushroom Society's mission is to promote the awareness of mushrooms. The group seeks to learn and teach others about the role of fungi in the environment and the role of mushrooms in diet, medicine, and hobby.

Currently, the heart of the Delaware Highlands Mushroom Society is Wayne and Pike Counties in Pennsylvania and Sullivan County in New York, with membership and interest already growing into surrounding counties.

The group is made up of mushroom lovers, many of whom have experience hunting mushrooms in the wild for food and medicine. Many members have joined because they want to learn to identify and harvest mushrooms. As the organization grows, volunteers or groups of volunteers can take on projects such as a networking database, events coordination (including foray scheduling and representation at fairs and special events), publicity, newsletter, mushroom poisoning contact list, mushroom cookbook, etc.
Address
602 Church Street, Honesdale, PA 18431 · Get Directions
Phone
845-418-6257
Website
http://dhms.weebly.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts