The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
the tree farmer didnt get 30 more red tags. red tag ended last month. he may have Dmap tags or some one is pulling your leg. you guys can go get some red tags in February 2022 when the season starts again and fill your freezers or at least offer to help pay the farmer for some of what he loses to the deer. maybe he wont get red tags then.

one farmer i know gets in red tag every year. he has a huge problem with deer because all his neighbors have their property posted. their property is all woods and THEIR deer feed on the farmers corn and soybeans. they constantly complain and the farmer asked them to unpost their property or at least help pay for what he loses, they said no to both.....i killed two red tag doe there last year. even got nice piebald doe one time.
Yes, did find out that he had filled 26 red tags for this year and had has plans to apply for 30 next year..
The tree farmer, never mentioned to any of the neighbors that he had issues with deer and invited any of the deer camps to come hunt his property. He has about 100 acres of his own and leases about 50 from a neighbor. None of his land is wooded, so the deer he shoots are bedding/living in the neighboring hunting camps, and residence...

We understand that he has losses, but shouldn't he expect some losses when you build a tree farm in the middle of deer country. Are their any limits on how many red tags he should be able to get?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Been there done that in 5D, local tree farm has a boat load of red tags near a very Popular state park. Nothing was done about it, multiple reports of shooting after hours, and also the shooting of anything brown. The PGC did nada. Was told that it was legal and shut up.

• Wow
Reactions: wis bang

·
Registered
25,719 Posts
Yes, did find out that he had filled 26 red tags for this year and had has plans to apply for 30 next year..
The tree farmer, never mentioned to any of the neighbors that he had issues with deer and invited any of the deer camps to come hunt his property. He has about 100 acres of his own and leases about 50 from a neighbor. None of his land is wooded, so the deer he shoots are bedding/living in the neighboring hunting camps, and residence...

We understand that he has losses, but shouldn't he expect some losses when you build a tree farm in the middle of deer country. Are their any limits on how many red tags he should be able to get?
the only deer that can be shot with those red tags are deer on his property. the ones living on other property are safe. there is a limit per acreage but i have no idea what it is.
the farm i hunt during red tag has tons of tags and never sees a shortage of deer. you have more deer than you realize.
i think he can only enroll the 100 acres he owns, i dont believe he can enroll the leased property as he doesnt own it. the farm i hunt said he cant enroll the land he leases.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
He should expect that losses are possible. He should also do all that he can to minimize his losses, including eradicating pests.

Why don't the neighbors chip in and put a fence around his property? LOL, we already know why, but ...

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
....Speaking of Amish country....and a lot more deer than what people realize....

Bohunr can vouge for this...
In this thermal pic there is just over 16 deer(some are bedded unseen)...If I was able to do a panorama of this, unseen from road, 25 acre, 2 week prior cut hay field..you would see between 30-40 deer. Nothing to see 100+ deer on a sub 2 mile stretch of backroad..This is red tag......Amish country

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Monochrome

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I raise sweet corn and other produce. Lots of it. Deer are a problem. I tried fencing and it helped, a little. Then one year Mrs. Buckskin got fed up at the losses to deer and made the first of what we now refer to as the alcoholic scare ghosts. They are simply racks, about 8 ft tall. She hangs beer cans by the hundreds from them, also long strips of sheets and tshirts, reflectors and wind chimes. We have them in each field and plot on all corners. She also runs baling twine between poles about 20 ft apart and hangs beer cans and stuff off those.
Looks ridiculous, other farmers laugh, and IT WORKS.
Smart lady. Cute to.;):)
Seems like a need for many empty beer cans. I hope you are not just dumping them out :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,912 Posts

I knew your whole story was bogus, at least you came clean. Quit your whining and go hunt. Obviously there's a lot of deer there and BTW the deer are living on his property too if they're being killed there.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

He lets people hunt. Go knock on his door.

How many deer are concentrated in the area just because his tree farm is there. If the tree farm was not there would the deer still be concentrated there?

Adapt to the situation and make the best of it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I knew I’d get the PGC all upset by speaking up. One farmed/farms vegetables, the other had beef cattle, fruit trees, and Christmas trees. Trees ended up being fenced in, no more problems.
Not upset, surprised by your being stuck on the selfish notion that farmers need to fence their property to keep deer out of their crops. Who cares if farmer Jones fences his property, farmer Smith doesn't have to and should not have to. You did not speak up you blathered nonsense.

·
Registered
25,719 Posts
i hunt red tag properties all the time, they never run out of deer. i figure if i do that, it saves some deer on other properties for other people. for what its worth...hunting red tag farms can open the door to a whole lot of other things between you and the land owner. i eventually was allowed access to a "honey hole" of a field that is behind the house surrounded by woods. i can hunt that section during regular season, only a few have that honor.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I raise sweet corn and other produce. Lots of it. Deer are a problem. I tried fencing and it helped, a little. Then one year Mrs. Buckskin got fed up at the losses to deer and made the first of what we now refer to as the alcoholic scare ghosts. They are simply racks, about 8 ft tall. She hangs beer cans by the hundreds from them, also long strips of sheets and tshirts, reflectors and wind chimes. We have them in each field and plot on all corners. She also runs baling twine between poles about 20 ft apart and hangs beer cans and stuff off those.
Looks ridiculous, other farmers laugh, and IT WORKS.
Smart lady. Cute to.;):)
I will sacrifice myself and help you empty the cans.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Deer fencing is pretty expensive. About $3.50 to 4 per foot, installed. 100 acres, in a square shape, has a perimeter of 8,350 feet. Gates are additional, and you need gates.

The fencing cost for 100 acres would likely be over $30,000. (Rough estimate, but it would be in that neighborhood.)

It might be more economical to shoot enough deer to keep the damage down, with the additional benefit of good meat.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Back in the 1980's use to be called green tag? The farm we hunted on he open his land to hunters posting green signs up around his farm. He too was surrounded by posted property and these guys would not allow anyone to hunt on there land. The one property would allow you to hunt there land after the first 3 days of rifle but his land was posted no doe hunting. The farmer tried talking to the land owners how the deer are eating his horse's feed right out of the cast iron tub's in the horse pastures. They didn't care.
So the farmer decided to open his land to hunters to help cut down the population. After the first season of this he had enough of it. Mainly his phone ringing through out the night hours hunters calling asking questions etc. etc.
I remember a few times he was upset with me as I was heading home from hunting, he would stop to look in back of the truck and say to me. I watched a herd of deer go in your direction, why didn't you shoot? 1. didn't have a doe tag or I used it. He lowered his head and walked away. I sense our friendship was going down hill after a few more times as I was leaving he would walk out of the barn in hopes to see a deer or 2 and again looks in the back of the truck see's no deer, walks away disappointed with me not shooting the deer to help him out. I figured in time he would tell me I not welcome any longer.
Those days you would see 40-50 deer first hour in the morning and I remember couple of times I was not awarded a doe lic. Today? they bascially hand them out to you.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Been there done that in 5D, local tree farm has a boat load of red tags near a very Popular state park. Nothing was done about it, multiple reports of shooting after hours, and also the shooting of anything brown. The PGC did nada. Was told that it was legal and shut up.
Depending on which permit or permits they had it well could have been legal.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts