The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a neighbor, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away from our hunting cabin, that has a small christmass tree farm. We just found out that they were issued red tags to reduce the deer population on their property. They have shot 26 deer this fall and have been issued 30 more red tags. The deer population has finally rebounded in our area and i'm sure this is going to hurt our population in the future. I understand that they need to make a living but we and the neighboring camps also have a substantial investment in our hunting cabins, (utilities, taxes, food plots, habitat enhancements.... ) .Will it help to complain to the Game Commission ? Who to call? (I have a call in to regional office ) Any thoughts on getting the number of red tags reduced?

·
Registered
#FJB
2,648 Posts
Man, this is a tough one and I would be just as upset as you are. Is what you know about the tree farm and how many deer they killed a fact or just hearsay? I would start with calling a local warden and asking him if there's any measures you can take or if he/she has any suggestions for you. Good luck, and please keep us posted on this one. I'm really interested to see what comes of this.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
That is rough, however, did you ever see what deer do to Christmas tree plantations? Once they take the branches off the young trees, they cannot be sold for anything. Perhaps those in your camp should go to the farm and get some red tags and and make the best of a bad situation. And no it will not help to complain, the law allows the tags to be issued, the PGC is complying with the law that the general assembly wrote and the Governor signed.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
....so 26/56 red tags filled for a small tree farm?.......sounds like there are a lot more deer in that area than what people think.
you can go online and find that farm to see the real number of tags being issued...and left over.
Hammer47 gave the best advice on making a "disappointing" situation better for you and the neighbors....who knows ..maybe it will start a new "tradition" of you all hunting that farm.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Before any of the wardens or red tag guys say anything, my family and in-laws both farm. That said, I always felt that tree farmers should have to make an attempt to fence in the trees, prior to red tag or night shooting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's very easy for any farmer to claim "crop damage " and shoot what they want. Happens all the time on Amish property.

Sounds like you want to own all the woods around your camp...

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
We have a neighbor, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away from our hunting cabin, that has a small christmass tree farm. We just found out that they were issued red tags to reduce the deer population on their property. They have shot 26 deer this fall and have been issued 30 more red tags. The deer population has finally rebounded in our area and i'm sure this is going to hurt our population in the future. I understand that they need to make a living but we and the neighboring camps also have a substantial investment in our hunting cabins, (utilities, taxes, food plots, habitat enhancements.... ) .Will it help to complain to the Game Commission ? Who to call? (I have a call in to regional office ) Any thoughts on getting the number of red tags reduced?
Are you sure it’s red tags and not DMAP? Or possibly a combo of both? Red tag “season” went out the end of Sept.

As much as it might suck, if these guys are taking a hit from the deer then they deserve a chance to eliminate a few along the way in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Before any of the wardens or red tag guys say anything, my family and in-laws both farm. That said, I always felt that tree farmers should have to make an attempt to fence in the trees, prior to red tag or night shooting.
Why should a tree farmer be held to a higher standard than any other crop farmer, corn , soybean, wheat farmers do not have to fence before they can protect their property, why should a Christmas tree farmer? I suspect your family and in-laws are not tree farmers.

·
Registered
25,708 Posts
the tree farmer didnt get 30 more red tags. red tag ended last month. he may have Dmap tags or some one is pulling your leg. you guys can go get some red tags in February 2022 when the season starts again and fill your freezers or at least offer to help pay the farmer for some of what he loses to the deer. maybe he wont get red tags then.

one farmer i know gets in red tag every year. he has a huge problem with deer because all his neighbors have their property posted. their property is all woods and THEIR deer feed on the farmers corn and soybeans. they constantly complain and the farmer asked them to unpost their property or at least help pay for what he loses, they said no to both.....i killed two red tag doe there last year. even got nice piebald doe one time.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I raise sweet corn and other produce. Lots of it. Deer are a problem. I tried fencing and it helped, a little. Then one year Mrs. Buckskin got fed up at the losses to deer and made the first of what we now refer to as the alcoholic scare ghosts. They are simply racks, about 8 ft tall. She hangs beer cans by the hundreds from them, also long strips of sheets and tshirts, reflectors and wind chimes. We have them in each field and plot on all corners. She also runs baling twine between poles about 20 ft apart and hangs beer cans and stuff off those.
Looks ridiculous, other farmers laugh, and IT WORKS.
Smart lady. Cute to.;):)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While i can see why your upset im just curious if you and your neighbors shoot does and all. If you dont you kinda screwed yourself.
We and the neighbors do shoot a few does, mostly try to cull a few of the older does off our property. It did seem like the heard in our valley was recovering from the early 2000's when we hardly saw any deer to seeing 5-7 who appeared to live in our valley. However the last few years, the with the rise in coyotes and bear in the area, we only see one or 2 fawns survive till fall.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I knew I’d get the PGC all upset by speaking up. One farmed/farms vegetables, the other had beef cattle, fruit trees, and Christmas trees. Trees ended up being fenced in, no more problems.

·
Registered
446 Posts
the tree farmer didnt get 30 more red tags. red tag ended last month. he may have Dmap tags or some one is pulling your leg. you guys can go get some red tags in February 2022 when the season starts again and fill your freezers or at least offer to help pay the farmer for some of what he loses to the deer. maybe he wont get red tags then.

one farmer i know gets in red tag every year. he has a huge problem with deer because all his neighbors have their property posted. their property is all woods and THEIR deer feed on the farmers corn and soybeans. they constantly complain and the farmer asked them to unpost their property or at least help pay for what he loses, they said no to both.....i killed two red tag doe there last year. even got nice piebald doe one time.
Sounds like the farm I hunt in Dayton.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts