The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not wanting to start an argument. But I need to vent. So I go to the SGL'S this morning not knowing they stocked yesterday(found out off of a hunter a ran into). Wasn't into the hunt for 5 minutes when my springer flushes a double. Both flew back towards the parking area where my truck and another truck where parked. Not taking the chance of shooting. Ok no big deal. As I proceed to hunt I find several piles of feathers on the paths,thru out the area I'm hunting,along with spent shells only a few yards from them. Obvious how these birds where taken. Guys just standing waiting on the birds to be released from the truck. So I go to another area of the game lands only to find the same thing.
I turn around and head back to the truck in disgust only to have my dog get on a bird. It's a runner and I see it run out of the brush and down the path. I won't shoot them on the ground. My dog follows it and flushes it. It flys towards the road,so no shot from me. So OK 3 in the air and no shots,that's fine with me. I know that a lot of guys don't have dogs and have as much right as I do to hunt pheasants. But come on,what sport is there in shooting them sitting on the ground right out of the truck? I can't imagine there is much good meat left on those birds. But I guess if that's what you like,have at it. It's not for me. I just wish there was a better way the birds could be stocked. Ok go ahead and chew on me.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
At least you saw some. Around here, I see one maybe every three years.

There is always a problem with pen raised birds and their degree of "flight readiness." If they were released in August the foxes would have most of them by hunting season.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I hear you. Still, it's legal, and those are stocked birds. Oh well, I'm glad you saw some, and better luck next time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
there is a better way. stock them on sundays. that will elimanate following the stock truck and shooting them right away. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
if you hunt birds or catch fish that come out of a truck you are going to have hunters or fisherman use the stocking point as an easy way to get fodder for a hero shot.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
pa smitty said:
there is a better way. stock them on sundays. that will elimanate following the stock truck and shooting them right away. just my 2 cents.
I don't think stocking Sundays will help. Monday mornings would be crazy every week. Stocking unknown days is working pretty well. On our local gamelands they have put birds out Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. There seems to be a good distribution of birds and if you put some time in you should get some birds up any day of the week.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
They should stop stocking altogether. Hunting preserves will spring up and the wild transferred birds won't cross breed with the mutants.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
pa smitty said:
I don't think stocking Sundays will help. Monday mornings would be crazy every week. Stocking unknown days is working pretty well. On uour local gamelands they have put birds out Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. There Iseems to be a good distribution of birds and if you put some time in you should get some birds up any day of the week.
This will slow down when the PGC. Stops giving out the day and the exact time of day. I have no idea what Lynn's. Talking about unknown my a...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I used to help with the stocking in NJ,and it works pretty well. What we did was distribute the birds with the main truck to the stocking locations. At these stocking locations volunteers with smaller trucks and jeeps would wait to after legal shooting hours and distribute the bird throughout the game lands. There was just enough light to see what you were doing, but not enough for legal hunting. We would then take the empty crates to a local spot and switch with the game truck on the next stocking day. Never had a problem with people wanting to shoot birds we just released, because it was past legal shooting hours.It actually works pretty well.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Horse hockey! We aren't anywhere close to the point where wild birds will be in such numbers that stocked birds willhave any impact on them. AS much as I would love to se wild pheasants in the numbers we had in the late 50s and early sixties, it isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
193 Posts
all i meant was if they were stocked on sundays you wouldnt be able to shoot them right out of the truck. they would have a day to move away from the parking lot. i run beagles and hunt rabbits the only pheasants i shoot are the one we come across by chance. so i could care less how they do it i was just offering my opinion.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I was out today with my beagles. When I pulled up in the parking lot I was the only one there, I figured cool I have the place to myself. Well I was working them through a switch grass field when I heard a truck coming. I turned around and here comes the stocking truck. I unloaded my gun and walked over to talk with him. Real nice guy, turns out he runs beagles as well. He gave me some updates on the work that is going to be done on the game land and said he was stocking about 80 birds and told me what fields they were going in. I left him finishing stocking the field and than we both went on about our business. I worked part of the field that was just stocked and shot one bird and left the rest go and headed back towards the truck. I didn't even make it to the truck and it sounded like a war zone out there with shotguns blasting and pheasants cackling all over. When I got to the parking lot there was 7 other trucks in it, and guys all over the fields right next to the parking lot shooting every direction. I got out of there for my own safety. I like hunting pheasants with the dogs but i'll do it after all the trigger happy people are done.

This was my first time to even see a stocking truck. It was cool to see how they stock. But if people really shoot the birds coming out of the truck thats like shooting fish in a barrel. Its way more fun to let the dogs work.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It's a joke on us, you look at the pgc web site they give you two days they might stock. Say its wed or a thur. you go there on a wed am before shooting hours and there's nobody around well you know there not stocking today. You go there the next day before shooting hours and it looks like the mall parking lot. That bull they SHOULD NOT be telling anybody the DAY and TIME. This year I was talking about it and the person I was talking to said stop by my house I have the list with days and times there stocking they give them to friends,family and helpers help what shoot them as they fly out the door. Thats not right it 100% the PGC falt there are people sitting there waiting. Should get quiet now.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Greene County Tom said:
I turn around and head back to the truck in disgust only to have my dog get on a bird. So OK 3 in the air and no shots,that's fine with me.
I don't understand why you left? There are always going to be lazy hunters and truck chasers. Why did you let the signs that those types of folks had been there end your hunt and just as importantly, your dogs hunt? Had you continued hunting your dog would have probably put up a few or even a lot more birds and had a blast doing it.

The slobs didn't kill them all. You were on a well stocked SGL with few other hunters in the area. Why'd you leave?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
When I am running my beagles at the gamelands and they start stocking pheasants I wish all the guys would only shoot them on the ground or only shoot the fliers when they know they aren't peppering other hunters. You stated you would you wouln't take a chance shooting, but many do. Last week I talked to a fellow that got hit in the face last year,with shot. These birds have little chance of survival and I have walked up on many while rabit hunting,some are very tame. It kind of disgusts me to see birds released from the truck and killed within a few minutes. The right way would be to try to get laws changed to help bring back some wild birds. Most birds That I flush on the gamelands I will not shoot at because I don't have clear sight beyond the target,but this doesn't stop many others from shooting.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
It's illegal for hunters to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a Game Commission vehicle releasing pheasants.

So all you guys talking about people shooting them right off the trucks, if you see it you're reporting it...right?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i don't feel like a hero when i shoot a pheasant. I'm just grateful to get one. that's the only time i can eat a pheasant. i don't shoot them off the truck but if i can surprise one on the ground I'm not against a sure kill. it's surprising to hear about this shooting off the truck. i figured laws would be enforced.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The fellows at the gameland where I was respected the the 150 yard law , just many did not care where they where shooting when birds were flyin. Some people should limit their shooting to sitting birds, because they are a danger to others when shooting flying birds. Let these guys get a quick limit of tame birds and get out before they hurt someone. Saw a guy walking with a.17 hmr trying to shoot sitters,I felt safer around him than I did the skyblasters. And with the right bullet he probably won't have ricorchees.

·
Registered
357 Posts
IMO, if we agree that stocked birds are not going to reproduce and repopulate in PA, then lets make sense of what we need to do. Here are some ideas:

Stock Chukar instead (Cheaper 2:1 than pheasants and nice flyers). Quail could be an option too...

Be allowed to shoot both hens and cocks statewide.

Allocate birds where shooters don't have to drive so far (too many go upstate, no mans land ) - they are going to die anyways!

Limit funding for stockies and use the $ for Wild bird habitat and reestablishment

Stop planting warm season grasses, and other cover crops specifically for pheasants on SGL's...

It's all put and take anyway...make rules that we get the most bang for our buck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts