The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Good Luck.

You should be alright Ron, just like old times......

You're just not as lean and mean.....

Do you have to do any night/shoot qualifying for it?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I qual a couple times a year for my job. When the stress starts welling up I just think: Sight Picture- Sight Alignment- Breathing- Trigger- BANG! No room for stress, no room for any thoughts but that.

It works for buck fever as well. Your mind can run through those few things very quick, almost like a small mantra.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
timberdoodle said:
Good luck Run!! Shoot straight!!
Why do you want Ron to Run? I don't know if they make retirees run anymore. He's getting older (and posibly wiser
)now, just like you. just sayin...

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Johnnie two times...two times....

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the instructor said I qualified, couldnt get a steady hand for some reason, did much better last year, but at least I made it......for another year.........

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What is your course of fire Ron? Distances and number of shots in what time?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 yds back to 15 yds and there is no time, that is what messed me up last year ,used to be 6 shots in 10secs..but no timed events now... We get behind the barricades for 16 rounds, then walk up for 12 rounds, then step right then step left ..... a total of 50 rounds and it is
frangible ammo.... I order mine from International Ammo, Punxatawney, Pa.. .38spec. $23. a box

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That doesn't sound bad except for the frangible ammo. I am trying to find a police dept that will take outsiders to qualify, the PGC doesn't do it for retired guys. At one time we qualified back to 50 yards with our sidearms, no more though.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
We shoot from the 25 all the way into the 4. We shoot strong and support side from the 25, and support side close in as well. Everything is timed, but the times aren't bad. The fastest shooting still gives us around 1 sec. a shot.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now wetherr the active guys still shoot on time, I dont know , we arent required to..The reason for the frangible ammo is this is lead free state of the art firing range.When we were shooting outside frangible wasnt an issue...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
John S said:
That doesn't sound bad except for the frangible ammo. I am trying to find a police dept that will take outsiders to qualify, the PGC doesn't do it for retired guys. At one time we qualified back to 50 yards with our sidearms, no more though.
Come north. I've done a few already. One of our guys will be leaving due to job related disability, I'll be qualifying him sometime in April.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I just may have to take you up on it. I am hoping the dept in my township starts running courses, I spoke to some of the officers and they said they are working on doing it for their retired guys. It is a far piece to run up to Luzerne Co. but if I don't find something here I may take you up on the offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you crossover depts like that, if so that would be good... I understand PSP isnt operational yet with
HR 218 the LEOSA.... I dont know....

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The only issue is getting the retired ID card from your former department. Once that happens, any firearms instructor on the list that MPOETC has can qualify someone under LEOSA.

I don't know what you mean by PSP not being "operational", unless they are dragging their heels with the retired ID card.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts