The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in 5c PA I have seen coyotes before in evansburg state park talked to many hunters who have also. My qeustion is when predator hunting should I only focus on calling in one predator or should I go for fox and coyote. I also want to know open field with lots of brush and cover surrounded by woods or woods because most of the woods are to thick to hunt from the ground and be able to see 50 yards. One last thing day or night I have the wobble rabbit decoy and the dying rabbit call.
Edit: Also has any had success hunting yotes in 5c I have heard about people shooting yotes in 5c.

Thanks Brandon

I know I ask allot of questions but I'm a deer hunter I dont have any one to show the ropes of predator hunting.

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Where in 5C are you? I'm close to Quakertown. I always, when calling, use a distress call of some kind first, rabbit in distress, bird call, etc. I never use a coyote call, because if there's fox in the area that will probably scare them off. If the critters are going to come in, increase your chances with an all around distress first, and see what pops up. We've shot 2 yotes in 5C, and this year called in a few more but no shots taken. They are definitely here, I have 3 packs at least within 3 miles or less from my house. Scouting is important, and learning their habits moreso. Get permission from many properties, that way you'll always have someplace to go. I have some general tips on my site that I've learned from all the pred hunters on this board. Study and learn as much as you can. If you're close and you want to head out some night, give me a call.

John

·
Registered
406 Posts
I called a coyote in over in Schwenksville this past Feb on a male challenge but, got busted on the wind.

Found tracks in Q-town in the spring. Never saw on there though.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Brandon - if you are an avid deer hunter, you already have the basics of scouting. If you are going to hunt during the day, scout the same as you would for deer. Find as many deer trails coming together and hunt that spot. Coyotes, like most animals, use the path of least resistance. My biggest piece of advice is to make them curious - minimal calling at minimal volume.

I don't like hunting during the day but if you do, have your gun up, looking down the barrel. Don't move anything but your eyes, if you can help it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
john1951 said:
Where in 5C are you? I'm close to Quakertown. I always, when calling, use a distress call of some kind first, rabbit in distress, bird call, etc. I never use a coyote call, because if there's fox in the area that will probably scare them off. If the critters are going to come in, increase your chances with an all around distress first, and see what pops up. We've shot 2 yotes in 5C, and this year called in a few more but no shots taken. They are definitely here, I have 3 packs at least within 3 miles or less from my house. Scouting is important, and learning their habits moreso. Get permission from many properties, that way you'll always have someplace to go. I have some general tips on my site that I've learned from all the pred hunters on this board. Study and learn as much as you can. If you're close and you want to head out some night, give me a call.

John
I'm in Royersford not to far from quakertown and I will do I'll give you a shout sometime and I know where they yotes are in the gamelands I was calling back and forth to one but it never came in I dont know if I over called or what.

Brandon

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shovelheadave said:
I called a coyote in over in Schwenksville this past Feb on a male challenge but, got busted on the wind.

Found tracks in Q-town in the spring. Never saw on there though.
Yea I have seen them in shwenksville during shotgun season shot at one at 100 yards but missed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KenBuck said:
Brandon - if you are an avid deer hunter, you already have the basics of scouting. If you are going to hunt during the day, scout the same as you would for deer. Find as many deer trails coming together and hunt that spot. Coyotes, like most animals, use the path of least resistance. My biggest piece of advice is to make them curious - minimal calling at minimal volume.

I don't like hunting during the day but if you do, have your gun up, looking down the barrel. Don't move anything but your eyes, if you can help it.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips and awesome thread for begginers you made.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Best piece of advice is you cant call them if they arent there. Scout and make sure they are there first. Dont go off of what you think is a pretty setup. Find the animals and you'll be more successful.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigben said:
Best piece of advice is you cant call them if they arent there. Scout and make sure they are there first. Dont go off of what you think is a pretty setup. Find the animals and you'll be more successful.
I do when I'm deer hunting I see scat all over from fox and yotes so I go to exactly where I see it when I was deer hunting yesterday was my first time out predator hunting. I set up 3 or 4 times and the one time I was doing a rabbit distress I heard a yip from a yote so I did a few yips then howled I heard it yip again we went back and forth but I never seen it this was probably around 1pm. I think I might go out tomorrow after we pick up my brothers new gun he got today [censored] background check system was backed up. So we might go set up tomorrow and do a few stands if that fails we might just go small gaiming after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts