The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal I loved this shot because of the stern look on moms face and the totally submissive body language and facial features of the yearling. BUT! The problem was if I cropped it into 8x10 format to print I got way too much garbage in the pic and lost what I wanted to feature..the deer.
My solution was to have it printed in a larger 15x8 format which will increase my cost and the buyers.
Do you think the print will be attractive enough to generate sales? In other words is it one you would hang in your house?
Sorry to be polling you guys but I respect your opinions and who would know better what they like sportsmen or yuppie tree huggers?

Thanks

Griz

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Griz, I like the picture and it would make either a good home or office print for a outdoorsman or nature lover. You do real good work and I enjoy looking at your photo's when you post them. As always, thanks for sharing your talent and eye with the camera.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Griz,
first off, great picture

second, yes, i think it will generate the sales. Let's keep in mind, not everyone has room for a large square picture, this one will be more of a "widescreen" so the available area to hang it increases for some. Not to mention, the shape itself should help it stand out.
Just curious, do you have a site where you sell your prints? I'd love to see them all!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Griz,I think the size of the print is great.The main factor you are attempting to relay is the dominant look on moms face and the submissive yearling.tHAT IS THE VERY THING THAT PULLS MY ATTENTION WHEN LOOKING AT THE PIC.I would most assuredly hang one in my basement.....JUST KIDDING!It would have a place in my den for sure.
JIM

·
Registered
282 Posts
griz,

this photo reminds me of one of those pictures you find that are black framed and usually motivational...

i was playing around with it and here is a sample...
there is a cool web site that will auto place the border and text for you motivator creator you can make em funny, serious or whatever you want...

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I guess it depends on the persons perspective, some people would like things with subtle humor on their wall and some wouldn't, I would..

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pa Hunter 1, thats great! It gave me a good idea. Thanks, I may do them with and without the frame and message.

"do you have a site where you sell your prints?"

Not at the present time. I do the arts and craft shows in the summer and because I have recently decieded to market my photographs more to the public this year I plan on attending more shows.

Thanks for the comments and interest everyone

Griz

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
thanks for the answer Griz, if you are ever going to be in the Halifax/Harrisburg area for a show, let me know, i'd love to stop by and see your other work.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Griz,

I like the composition and the lighting. I'd have to see the original full size print to judge the depth of field.

On 3000x2000 dpi photos I've enlarged to 24x36, poor depth of field is greatly exaggerated during the enlargement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GRIZ ~ I very much enjoy your work ! remember you asked for comments .. I love deer but I would appreciate seeing a little of the background as well as just the deer themselves . Just my .2 cents

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hornbuilder, no problem but if you look at most of the Pro photographs that are marketed unless it's a landscape the backgrounds are eliminated. I have to admit I'm kind of like you I like to see more but on the other hand the more background you have the more it detracts from the actual subject. In this case the deer, what they are doing and their body language.
Thanks for the comment though they are always welcome with me.

Griz

·
Registered
291 Posts
Griz, Great Picture! However I do agree with your concern about space. If I had the space though I would def hang that picture there.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately you just cant get printed, framed or hang up everything you would like to especially at today's costs. My walls are covered now with art prints I have been collecting for over thirty years and I probably have just as many tucked away here and there in the house.
I did confer with some Pros who make a decent living selling photos prints and many of my ideas of what I thought would sell were quickly blown out of the water. So to compete at all "ya have to go with the flow" and hope that what you have captured in a photo is perhaps unique or a little better that what else is out there. That is why I strive to get unusual wildlife behavior in my presentations.
Hey I'm just an amateur but I am learning and having a lot of fun doing it. That is another reason I value the opinions of the folks here on my photos. After all I shoot wildlife and sportsmen and nature lovers are going to be my market who better to ask.

Griz

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
your work is spectacular,have you ever considered setting up a stand at the THREE RIVERS ARTS FESTIVAL in pittsburgh at the point;this summer.it is a week long event that i think you would enjoy it and the public would be able to purchase your work.even if you don't want to set up you should attend,i think you would really enjoy yourself,alot of very good artists and photography works are avaiable to look at or purchase.if you want i could get the month and dates for this years event.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts