The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put some new tires on my 2004 silverado extended cab. Right now it has hankook geolander 165's i believe. Im looking to put some beefier tires on this time as the hankooks i had were more of a highway type tire. I'd like to put an offroad type tire this time and also probably go to 185's. was also planning on doing a leveling kit or body lift. So i'd like some input on tires you guys are running or what you would recommend. Also, any pictures you have of your rig would be appreciated to give me a better idea.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Lots of choices out there. Keep in mind, the more aggressive tire, the louder they are, and you get worse tire wear.

With that said, Nitto terra grapplers, Cooper Discoverers, Toyo makes a nice aggressive tire with a 50,000 mile guaranty.
I have run them all, the bigger the outside open lug, the worse mileage and louder they are......but great for traction and looks.
by the way.....it's 265's......and you may get away with as big as 305's with the leveling kit and stock rims.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas! And yes, 265 not 165, dont know what i was thinking when i typed that haha. Ive heard cooper discoverer tires are fairly low noise for the type of tire they are. I do like the looks of the nitto's as you mentioned. Thanks alot for the ideas!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I got the Cooper Discover CTS on my Tundra and its most quite tire I have ever had , it has less noise then my car tire, good traction also. 65000 miles warranty , 45 day road test.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have Cooper discovery on my Avalanche. I really like them for ride and silence and they have a better warranty than Wranglers which is what I used to run on all my trucks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
+1 on the Cooper Discover A/Ts! I have an 04 Avalanche that I put 285s on and I love them. Really improves the look. I didn't do a lift or anything, just cranked up the torsion bars about an inch and a half and had it realigned when they put the new tires on.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I'm a Michelin guy. If you want an aggressive tread try the LTX A/T2. Michelin tires are quite expensive, but if you plan on driving it for a long time, the expense is worth it. I had a set of LTX M&S that I got 108,000 miles out of. If I wasn't heading into deer season, I'd of ran them for another few thousand miles.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you want off road traction and decent tread life there's basically none better than the BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM. NOT the KM2 !!!! The ORIGINAL KM !!!

They only come in one size: 256/70/17 ....... which should fit your Silverado just perfectly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM

(Don't know why this link isn't clickable. Just copy & paste to your browser. It works.)

The Mrs. has a set of these on her Suburban (this is her 2nd set) and you just cannot stop it.

I screwed up and put the KM2's on my Expedition and it was the biggest waste of tire money I ever saw. They stink !!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot guys for the words of advice. Def. will be doing some research on the tires mentioned!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had an '04 Chevy 1500 before I got my Ford, and I had Kelly Safari TSR's on it. I think they were 265/70/17, but sitting at stock height, it looked just right. Real beefy tires, relatively quiet, and still handled smooth. And the price wasn't too bad either!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Havnt made up my mind just yet but im leaning towards the cooper stt. My local garage deals with cooper and have had a few buddies run those tires with success. Just have to decide which leveling kit and lift to go with

1 - 14 of 14 Posts