The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone knowof someone close to the Halifax area that may be able to install a new impeller in my 70s evinrude? someone that doesn't want an arm and a leg? one of the big boat shops wanted to do it for 400 and some dollars.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
400 for the impeller in your water pump? ouch..

It's a fairly simple job, especially on older motors, if you're comfortable dropping the lower unit.. I did it a few times on my older johnson. JLC in Elizabethtown is a great shop for older 'rude and johnson motors.. I'm not sure what kind of cost you'd be looking at, but I'd be surprised if it's more than an hour of labor, and very minimal part costs.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
You can get a manual from ken cooks. They have the shop manuals not the chitons types. As said not to hard of a fix if your somewhat handy

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys. it doesn't seem too tough in the manual I got with it. am just afraid of dropping that lower unit and parts go flying all over lol

·
Registered
695 Posts
sounds high to me. I just had a new impeller installed in my mid 70's Chrysler along with going over the motor and cleaning the carb for $360 at a local shop.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Its an easy job. 30 min tops. Sometimes impeller is real tight to shaft. A gear puller with some utility wire attached to it and wrapped around impeller does trick. Most impellers come marked with direction. A little grease on impeller tips make it easy to slip in. Just turn shaft when pitting housing on and it goes in nice and smooth.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I hate to see someone pay that much for labor replacing a part under 50 bucks. It is really easy. A bit far or I would come do it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts