The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the muzzleloader out yesterday to try and sight it in after putting new sights on it. TC .50 cal hawken ( or look a like) flintlock. Cleaned the barrel before we started shooting. Was cleaning it after 2 or 3 shots with 1 bore butter parch and a dry patch. After a couple rounds like this, i could push the ramrod down the barrel with the patch but it would stuck and not able to pull it back out.

EDIT

finally after breaking off the jag and then removing it, i got the barrel all cleaned out, using hot water, soap, some black powder cleaner, the barrel was clean, or so i thought. went to shoot some more and the same thing, even after 1 shot it was hard to push the ramrod down and and almost impossible to pull it back out. don't ask how we pulled it out.

in between shots, after we would get the ramrod out and moving a bit, i could feel a little bit of a rough spot at the breech end of the barrel and then it would go away after cleaning it a bit.

what am i doing wrong? i've never had this trouble before. it was thoughly cleaned when i put it away last year.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
What kind of patch material are you using? If it is an old T shirt, stop. This material, and stuff like it, have a way of doubling over on itself and becoming a very tough thing to get out of the barrel. Also, don't use bore butter, use a solvent. If you need a lube, use Crisco.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For cleaning im using the regular bought round patches from TC.same as I've always been using.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Yikes. So then, this is a recent development in an otherwise uneventfull cleaning process that you have been using? If so, then maybe its time to dismount the barrel and give it the hot water and soap treatment. Do you think that there is a possability that there was some issue with an short started load that may have caused some undetected internal barrel dammage that, in turn, is causing this issus?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
First get a good range rod. I only use a plain wetted (watera0 first patch. You have to get that dry stuff wet so that it will come out. Don't use bore butter. What thichness patch and size ball are you using?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
first of all bore butter is not a cleaner it is a protector against rust and helps in loadin by usein it on your patches a light coat i would rubbin alcohol to clean between shots

·
Registered
135 Posts
From past experience, your patches may be too thick, and not all jags are created equal. I have a jag marked as 50 cal and it only would allow the thinnest of patches to be used w/ it. A range rod as stated above would really help. The extra length, plus one with a "T" handle will give you much better leverage. You can buy a screw in "T" handle for your smoke pole's rod too. Most smoke pole ramrods will not allow you to clean all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Meaning they are the barrel length but you need 3-4" to hold on to and that's where you come up short. How are you pushing the patch and jag down the barrel to clean? You can,t do it in one long push at first. You initially have to go in short bursts till you work your way down the barrel. One big push will cause too much powder residue build up and surely cause your patch/jag to get stuck. DON'T over use the bore butter! For your 1st patch, use water, alcohol, or spit:). Use a couple of those, dry patch, then a light bore butter patch if you like to only lube the barrel for the next shot. Bore butter is for lubing patches or lubing the barrel for easier loading and rust protection. A lot of people don't like bore butter because it gets too hard in colder temps. and creates a build-up in the barrel if over used.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im using. 495 hornady round balls and. 010 thick lubed remington patches.

For cleaning with a jag I've been using 100% cotton patches.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
BINGO!There is the problem.That .010 patch is TOO thin and you are not getting a clean burn.Try a .015 or a .018 patch.
When at the range I only use a clean wet patch with water followed by 2 dry ones.
I always clean my muzzys in a bucket with soapy water followed by a good rinse.Pump that water and swirrel that breech area.Dry with patches and hair drier.
If you got a ruff spot try a jag with 0000 steel wool with some oil on it.On a clean barrel give it a scrubbing top to bottom.
If you still got that ruff spot it could be another problem.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have it soaking in some solvent now. After i would get it kinda clean, i wouldn't feel a rough spot anymore. I was trying to just clean it in short strokes but it would still get stuck. Maybe i was over using the bore butter. I will clean it good again before i shoot it again next weekend. I will try the alcohol in-between shots also.

I shot a bunch last year and have never had as much trouble as i did yesterday. I almost put it away and got my grandfather's .45 hawken out to use it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
410-er. There always is a ton of black crud coming out when i clean in-between shots.

My brother in law was shooting the same balls and patches and wasn't having any problems, with a traditions deerhunter.

Can i use the bore butter for patch lube?

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Black crud is a sign of poor burn.
There is no rubber stamp load for muzzys.You gotta find what each likes or doesn't like.I have some 45's.Some like a .440 RB.Some a .445 and another that likes a .451.Some like .015 patch and others like .020.Some FFg others FFFg.
I have 50's that like FFg and some like FFFg.No hard rule.
Do you feel a slight bump on the outside of the barrel in the area of that ruff spot?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Have you rcovered any of your used patches and do they show signs of blow-by? What brand of BP are you using? If its Elephant brand, that mnay be your problem right there. Dirtiest burning fuel since pine knots.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't looked for any of the used patches. The powder I'm using is old stuff that ive had for a loooong time.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Maybe you just need to get some new powder. Once I went to GOEX I dumped the Elephant brand stuff on the lawn for nitrate content. There were actually small sticks in it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yep, I push a wire brush down to loosen the residue. And my .50 likes pre-lubed .010 patch with a .490 round ball, and 60 gr. fff. You could try taking out the touch hole liner and use a bore light for obstructions.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
good ole boy said:
What is the Elephant brand?
Black powder garbage. Very dirty powder. Stick with GOEX. Unless your old powder is damp and clumping, it should still be good.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the powder i have is in a read and white metal can. i've had it for a long while. it's not damp or clumping. i'll check the name on it and for a barrel lump tomorrow, it's at my dad's soaking.

when range shooting, do you guys clean after every shot? what's your routine?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts