The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son came to me this evening with a stuck ball about 4 or 5 inches from the touch hole. He bought new patches but I think they are too thick or he doubled the patch. Well, it won't budge. There's 90 grains of powder floating around behind the ball. Someone told him to shoot the ball out by holding the gun up so the powder is back by the touch hole. I am not at all knowledgeable about muzzle loaders, but this doesn't seem too safe to me, being that the ball is really tight in the barrel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it like that I think you could bulge the barrel or worse.

I've unloaded my muzzleloader like this a few times....if you have an air compressor(or know someone that does) take a blow gun with a black rubber nozzle https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-Piece-Quick-Connect-Blow-Gun-Kit/50129860

Stick the nozzle in the touch hole(might have to remove the touch hole) and let er rip. Make sure you're pointed in a safe direction of course.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Get a ball puller and use it to extract it. The one time I used mine, I soaked the barrel in water to saturate the powder for saftety before pulling the ball. I also used a pair of vice grips on a aluminum ram rod so I could tap on the vice grips with a hammer to get it to budge. Crude but effective.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Good Golly!! Don’t try to shoot that ball out of there without the ball and patch being seated against the powder charge. You will blow that muzzleloader to piece and get possibly majorly hurt in the process.. get a good ball puller or take it to a qualified muzzleloader person that has dealt with this problem before.. I WOULDNT SHOOT IT OUT. JMO

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it like that I think you could bulge the barrel or worse.

I've unloaded my muzzleloader like this a few times....if you have an air compressor(or know someone that does) take a blow gun with a black rubber nozzle https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-Piece-Quick-Connect-Blow-Gun-Kit/50129860

Stick the nozzle in the touch hole(might have to remove the touch hole) and let er rip. Make sure you're pointed in a safe direction of course.
This should work. This is how I unload my flinter if im hunting at or near home and dont get a shot. Much easier to clean then a fired gun. As was stated make sure gun is pointed in a safe direction as it can come out fast depending on how much pressure builds behind it. I have a bucket filled with crumpled old shop rags I put the barrel in so I can recover bullet but used to just point barrel out back door of garage, but I shoot out there so theres no safety issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,837 Posts
Ball puller and two guys, or a good rod and a bench vice.

OR... they make C02 dischargers, too.

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
If it is that tight a bullet puller might not work.

The compressed air hopefully will work.

·
Super Moderator
7,837 Posts
Why not use a small hammer with the ramrod, and see if You can tap the PRB down onto the charge? Then shoot it out.
I was thinking the same and forgot to add it to my post....sounds like it's close to the charge. Should go the rest of the way with some "convincing".

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I stuck a ball one time and a friend of mine took a drywall screw welded it to a rod and pulled it but the part that I didn't realize was he wasn't easy on it, he took a hammer and smacked the rod before twisting the screw into the ball. A ball puller would be used the same way, wack it and use vice grips, oil down the barrel is a good idea

·
Registered
523 Posts
Shooting it with a charge of powder ?? If you remove the touch hole and get most of the powder out then try and push it out with a few grains, maybe. Tight bullet is what has me.

I once had an patch and ball and no powder. I was told by a gent that collect black powder guns, that said to remove the touch hole and load the hole fire and repeat until clear. But that was not 90 grains. After four times the bullet left like it was shot out of a potato gun.

If you PM me I'll give you Mr Churm your number and he'll explain how to remove the load safely.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I definitely ain't shooting it.

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
I have used both methods suggested by Rusty and bad primer but was afraid to suggest them just in case they would make a bad situation worse if they didn't work.

Using both methods together should do it but there is the chance of contaminating the powder. In that case you may have to pull the flash hole plug and remove the contaminated powder and pack some fresh powder in the flash hole.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What make is it? Does the breech plug screw out? You can remove the touch hole liner and get most of the powder out, Them lube both sides of the ball, then tap ram rod to move the ball just a little then compressed air should do the trick.

Keep us posted and let us know what worked please.

Good luck, Stant

·
Registered
461 Posts
another option. go to your local auto parts store. get a grease fitting that has the same threads as your touch hole, screw the grease fitting in the touch hole , pump it out with a grease gun, you, will be surprised how little grease it takes, little messy but not as bad as you would think. clean your barrel thoroughly. Back in business.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Thanks guys. I definitely ain't shooting it.
I understand trepidation, it is a safety thing. No problem.

But to explain it, unless the charge is more than the barrel can handle normally, shooting it out is not dangerous, AS LONG AS YOU SEAT THE PRB ON THE CHARGE. Shooting a short round (space between charge and PRB) is. The pressure buildup without the PRB seated is what bulges or lets loose the barrel. The gasses build too high in pressure in the empty chamber area behind the PRB, before affecting the PRB.

When a properly seated PRB is fired, the pressure build starts the PRB moving before they get too high. The increase after it is moving is where You get the speed of the projectile.

The stuck PRB got in there by human force, even if using a hammer. I am sure the gas buildup of firing the charge is way more "instantaneous" force than any human can generate, even with the hammer.

It went in, it will shoot out. Again... AS LONG AS YOU SEAT THE PRB ON THE CHARGE.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts