The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping someone could help with a source for a ballistic chart for my groundhog set up....I had one tucked into the shell holder on the stock and of course it wound up in the black hole that hunting gloves and socks disappear to never to be seen again

It's a shooter as you can see below....
Savage 10FP , 20" bull .223 topped with a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 X 40 Target dot with 1/8" MOA adjustments.

I'm shooting factory Hornady 55gr V-max which it loves. Factory data shows 3240 out of a 24" test barrel....my actual is probably a bit under.
(Sorry don't have a chrony)

Can anyone help me out with a chart with clicks out to say 350yds for a realistic interval in yardage.....every 10...every 25 or so?
Or point me in the right direction. Forgive me this stuff isn't my strongest area.

It's sighted in now dead on at 100yds.

The first picture shows one of the better 5 shot groups and before I brought it down a touch

This is pretty much how it will shoot all day long....not too shabby for factory ammo I guess?

FATTY!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well unless your intrigued by dialing scopes, for what your doing id be zeroing the gun at say 250 yds then just hold high or low for the shots. Take a trip to a prairie dog town with
your 223 and you will soon convert to being a
holdover shooter.
That said, the choice is yours and you can just
take a stab at the velocity by consulting a loading manual. Then go to a website like jb or lots of others and create a chart for your gun.
Confirm it by actuall shooting and tweak it as
necessary.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah for 300ydish max shots a 200yd zero probably would be smart with holdover or under.....if I had a 200yd range available to zero.

Guessing at 3200 out of the 20" barrel I'm trying to hold over 6.4" at 250yds with the 100yd zero. That's sketchy on a flat hog.

I had a great tape and was dialing em in out to 350 no problem because the shooting is never hot and heavy....wish I could find it.
The fatty in the pic above was dialed at 310 on that 100yd zero.

The 1/8" adj scope makes for a lot of clicks though!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
1 1/4" high at 100 will put you dead on about 250 and 3" low at 300. It's almost a hold on fur zero. Inside 100 hold low, 100-300 hold dead on, 300-350 hold 3" high. I sight in ALL my groundhog rifles this way, from 17AH to 243 (and there's a lot in the middle). Keep it simple works for me. I don't worry about charts until I get past 350.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Matt / PA said:
Yeah for 300ydish max shots a 200yd zero probably would be smart with holdover or under.....if I had a 200yd range available to zero.

Guessing at 3200 out of the 20" barrel I'm trying to hold over 6.4" at 250yds with the 100yd zero. That's sketchy on a flat hog.

I had a great tape and was dialing em in out to 350 no problem because the shooting is never hot and heavy....wish I could find it.

A minit is a minit regardless of the click value of the scope. Get used to thinking minits
as opposed to counting clicks. The numbers on
the dial as a rule refer to minits if the scope is in minits. So putting the dial on #4 should be 32 clicks with your scope. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yobuck 1 said:
Matt / PA said:

A minit is a minit regardless of the click value of the scope. Get used to thinking minits
as opposed to counting clicks. The numbers on
the dial as a rule refer to minits if the scope is in minits. So putting the dial on #4 should be 32 clicks with your scope. Check it out.
That's an awesome point and I didn't think of it that way......thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Adjustments in M.O.A "minits"
Try this. Should be close. If you can let me know the results, I can make a little speed adjustment to fine tune a little. Shooting prone with 223 you should be seeing your bullet impacts through the scope.

yds / moa

100 / 0
125/ 0.2
150 / 0.5
175 / 1.0
200/ 1.55
210 / 1.55
220 / 1.9
240 / 2.4
260 / 2.9
280 / 3.5
300 / 4.1
310 / 4.4
320 / 4.7
330 / 5.0
340 / 5.4
350 / 5.7
360 / 5.9
370 / 6.4
380 / 6.8
390 / 7.2
400 / 7.6

·
Registered
715 Posts
It might be a bit hard to grasp at first but reading in MOA is really quite simple. Look at it like a tape measure. Once you get onto it you'll never look at it in click adjustments again. Who wants to count 209 clicks to get a 1000 yard adjustment, dial 26 1/8 MOA, done. It's just that simple for all distances

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gunnermhr said:
It might be a bit hard to grasp at first but reading in MOA is really quite simple. Look at it like a tape measure. Once you get onto it you'll never look at it in click adjustments again. Who wants to count 209 clicks to get a 1000 yard adjustment, dial 26 1/8 MOA, done. It's just that simple for all distances
Well in fairness, I never knew anybody to stand there and count 200 clicks lol.
Most knew how many clicks a full rev on the dial yielded like say 50 and would then just
turn the dial 4 full turns for 200. Years back
that was the way most hunters dialed scopes,
by counting clicks. And its still being done by
more people than you might think. By using the
numbers on the dial you can just look at the scope and know where you are without having to remember how many clicks you dialed. But the
bottom line is whatever works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts