The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I'm on here pretty often but not this forum. My buddy wants me to get into waterfowl hunting with him and wants me to go with him to hunt some snow geese. I have a 1187 that i'm gonna use. What choke should i get and what size shot do i use and any tips on aiming on them and how close they can be to kill. I've never done this before so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shot size 2's, 1's or BB,s. For a choke either factory imp. cyl. or mod. will work fine. With steel shot, as a rule of thumb, a imp. cyl. will give you a mod choke and mod. will give you a full. If you can take your gun out and pattern it.

Any bird with-in 40 yrds is good closer is better. As far as aiming tips the number 1 tip is to keep swinging through the shot. If possible goto a skeet range and get a feel for leading the bird.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My advice for a beginner is that shooting is the easiest and least important part. Learn the birds, watch what they do, when they do it, and what conditions were present when they did it. Once you learn the birds you could shoot Em with a slingshot.

-Drakes

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Never hunted snows, but I've worked large flocks of ducks and geese. The biggest problem I've seen new guys do is shoot the flock instead of a single bird. Pick one out and resist the urge to point at white and pull the trigger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
shot is by choice,pick your bird out.Alot of hunters will say 20-50 less will be the average range,so u will have to lead the birds.people here have good advise.good luck

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
yumpto said:
Shot size 2's, 1's or BB,s. For a choke either factory imp. cyl. or mod. will work fine. With steel shot, as a rule of thumb, a imp. cyl. will give you a mod choke and mod. will give you a full. If you can take your gun out and pattern it.

Any bird with-in 40 yrds is good closer is better. As far as aiming tips the number 1 tip is to keep swinging through the shot. If possible goto a skeet range and get a feel for leading the bird.

Good luck and have fun.

Snows are TOUGH to decoy to say the least. Pray for wind and good luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Advice so far. I also shoot BB for geese in my Benelli M2 with either a factory modified or a kicks high flyer in full. Just got the kicks this year and like it so far. Like the other said pattern your gun and you may even want to use the IC if your not that confident in your shooting. Just think butt, body, beak, BOOM. Good luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
how are you goin to hunt these snow geese ? pass shoot them,chase them around and jump shoot or decoy them ? you didn't provide enough info to give a good reply. they are hard to decoy without a huge spread . getting birds to the gun will be your biggest challenge . when you get a field to hunt give me a call , i have some decoys. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts