The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hunting spot in MD where I have a trail cam set up. I have been getting some photos of a very nice buck the past few weeks. The muzzleloader season ends this Saturday. I hope to get a chance to hunt it Thursday and Saturday. The photos mostly show him in non shooting hours. Just before daylight or after dark.
I was considering the thought og using a doe estrus scent. I have a real good strong scent that I have been using this year. (Buck Butter) My question is: would it be wise to use this at this time of year or would it possibly just scare this big boy away.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I have never done too much late season hunting but I really want a cahnce at this buck.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I bought and used that Buck Butter lure a few years ago, and if I remember, isn't that suppose to smell like bedded deer and its suppose to keep the deer calm and hang around the area longer. I'm sure it can't hurt to have it out. I left it at my stand by mistake overnight and the next day when I went back the bear destroyed it on me. Good Luck with that buck.

Heres a picture of the container when I went back the next day, the buck butter was all gone and the container was scratched inside and out:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If you are walking down the street minding your own business and smell a pretty girl, what would you do? Go looking right?

Use it!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
bownut said:
If you are walking down the street minding your own business and smell a pretty girl, what would you do? Go looking right?

Use it!

Hahaha good point, I don't think it really can hurt pull out all the stops and good luck.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yearlings can come into estrus Late, not unnatural

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Coming from same direction?
Maybe can catch him before it gets dark by moving closer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about using it and a buddy of mine told me that it might alarm the buck that I am hunting and keep him from coming in. I just want to try my best to get a chance before the muzzy season ends. Archery is in for the entire month of January in MD but I would rather get a shot with the firarm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts