The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I need some help trying to get worthwhile gear for when it gets cold it often doesn't drop below single digits mostly stayin around 10-30's in the winter. I get cold like noones business and I don't often sit. I'm looking for gear to predator hunt in so it can't be too bulky. Anyhow I'm looking for base layers, maybe a microfleece?? I've been told that's good for my application. Anyone got any suggestions that I can use in a pinch??

Ryan.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I own a boat load of ua but I also bought it all at cabelas in buda Texas where there is little need and the bargain cave was full of it. Had to buy another suit case for the trip home. I love it even in archery because I can wear less.

My feet are another story. Ever since my spinal fusion my feet are always cold. Tried like 5 different types of socks, wearing thin ones out and switching to heavier to sit. Going to pick up a pair of the ua boots this summer and if that don't work pony up for those inserts that recharge from thermacell

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Wool is the ticket. It's expensive, but merino wool makes a great base layer, with other layers of wool over top. Naturally anti microbial, breathable, sweat wicking, and warm!

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Get rid of all your <span style="color: #FFFF00">cotton</span> gear, like long johns and such....

Search ebay for Miltary surplus base layers (polypro), mid weight (fleece), and outerwear... Tons of it on there...</span>

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ole' Raspy said:
Get rid of all your cotton gear, like long johns and such....

Search ebay for Miltary surplus base layers (polypro), mid weight (fleece), and outerwear... Tons of it on there...
Very interesting thought on that one. I may have to do some diggin on that.

Ryan.

Awesome replies guys. I saw a merino wool shirt that was on the clearance rack at gander but it seemed super thin and poorly made.

Ryan.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is a site that i stumbled on last year and ordered cold weather base layers. I have been more than pleased with the product. It is warm, has moisture wicking material, and is made for the military.

http://defenseoutfitter.com/halyspcu/level2/lsgridfleece.html

level 2 is what you want. I am 6'3" and have always been problemed with an exposed lower back from inproper fitting long johns. This site has tall sizes that have a custom fit feel to them. I also ordered the cold weather Balaclava and I cant say enough good things about it.

The bad side of my transaction with the company was the length of delivery time. it took almost 3 months for the items to come in. I see that they are out of stock on most items on their site , So if you order it most likely will be for next season.

edit: The heavyweight bottoms are thin enough to be worn under your blue jeans , That makes them versitile for wearing them outside around the house too.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
at my age, I get cold real quick. I've experimented with tons of different clothing and settled on this fairly inexpensive combo: Expedition grade Poly ( military) longies, 1 pair light weight nylon socks and one pair of Cabelas kneehigh merino wool heavy socks, one nylon tee shirt, one fleece regular shirt, Remington insulated/waterproof bibs from Wally World, a Remington 4in1 insulated/waterproof coat, a mock turtleneck( dickie) and a full fleece face mask for the real cold times. and a pair of Insulated Muck Boots. I doubt I have as much in all that as some people have in just their outer garments.
The key is having nylon next to your skin rather than cotton.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I dumped all my cotton long johns years ago. I have a drawer full of base layers, from light to duo-fold. I have brands such as Starter, Athletech, Xtec, C9, and Indera. These are from Wallyworld, K-Mart, Target, and outlet stores like Marshalls, TJ Max. This stuff costs a fraction of the price of U.A. Its all made from the same material in the same countries. My son played football from peewees up to senior in H.S. It was U.A. or nothing. Now he's married with his own home and bills. He realized the other brands work just as well as the U.A. He recently told me your just paying for the U.A. name.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Good pair of heavy coveralls for sitting.

For feet, have found muck boots to be the warmest and most comfortable boots out there.

For hands, can't beat a pair of ua liners in combo with glomitts.
Also like ua head cover.

·
Registered
925 Posts
We pulled an all night predator hunt in Potter and Cameron county last weekend. Friday night it was 8 degrees. I wore UA tops and bottoms under Cabelas ECWS tops and bottoms. Uninsulated pants a Cabelas microfleece windstopper shirt and a Cabelas wooltimate guide outfitter vest and never got cold. Those ECWS tops and bottoms are warm as is the wind stopper shirt.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
delphic93 said:
For feet, have found muck boots to be the warmest and most comfortable boots out there.
There are different models of Muck boots for different temperature ranges. Make sure you get a pair for the correct temperature range you need.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thin Poly/nylon next to your skin, wool in layers from there out. Cover all skin possible, esp. neck/head, and break any wind if any is present.

·
Registered
545 Posts
my7pointmonster said:
Alright I need some help trying to get worthwhile gear for when it gets cold it often doesn't drop below single digits mostly stayin around 10-30's in the winter. I get cold like noones business and I don't often sit. I'm looking for gear to predator hunt in so it can't be too bulky. Anyhow I'm looking for base layers, maybe a microfleece?? I've been told that's good for my application. Anyone got any suggestions that I can use in a pinch??Ryan.
Hard to best a Stormy Kromer cap for a toasty lid.

·
Super Moderator
26,950 Posts
Start with polypropylene long underwear, does not need to be a name brand. Add layers of wool, and outerwear that insulates and also breaks the wind.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great replies guys, thanks for the info, I got a fleece layering jacket tonight off the bargain rack at Gander Mountain. As far as Poly layering on my skin, I've got an underarmor base layer that I can put up against my skin. I'm thinking I should be okay to get through the upcoming hunt. I'm compiling a list of the replies though and I'll adjust accordingly.

Ryan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts