The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advise I have saved up approx $900.00 for getting a PA longrifle. I love the style around this type of rifle. I want it to look nice and be able to hunt with it. I waant something to be proud of...

So do I go shopping for a custom gunsmith or buy somethuing off the internet/cableas line.

I want a lancaster style with steel hardwear. I really like the steel over brass. PS if ya got a gun or lead to a gun let me know.

Good Hunting Koz

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Geesh. You are about an hour (tops) from Dixon's muzzleloader shop and the gun maker's fair is the 29th to 31. Nearly all the major players in building longrifles will be there. Go drool, take notes, see if you want a particular style, and how much fancy you want on it. Frankly I have seen custom guns covered with German Sliver inlays and furniture with excessive engraving and for $8,500.00, I sure wouldn't take it into the woods. An heirloom is nice, but don't get something so fancy that you will hesitate using it. I figure that a plainer Lancaster style or a schimmel style is just right for hunting. Go look and learn before you plunk down your hard earned $.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Zimmerstutzen is correct as usual. The Gunmaker's Fair at Dixons, 7/29-31, is THE place to attend to evaluate, compare, and re-do both in deciding on your eventual source of a fine, AMERICAN-MADE long rifle.

I've personally dealt with three of the builders who will usually be attending the Fair: Cabin Creek builder, Brad Emig(absolutely, top-shelf!), Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Inc.(fine people offering affordable rifles and fowlers), and Tip Curtis(visiting his tent will bring tears to your eyes, and tug at your wallet!). Besides these three, you will be able to visit with a dozen or more builders, capable of offering custom-made long guns, from one to several thousands.

Bring your blood pressure meds!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Brad from Cabin Creek is in York Co. Don Getz also builds great guns (Owner with son of Getz Barrels) He makes a tack driving (Barn Gun). Try going to http://www.Americanlongrifles.com
Most of theses guys will be at Dixons and sometimes you can get a gun there!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not looking to morgage the house to get the rifle. I am more of the "simple is best type of guy". I want iron/steel furniture on the rifle maybe some simple scrolls. It will be shot and hunted with and then passed on when my time is over.

Koz

·
Registered
889 Posts
Take a look at TVM rifles. My Early Lancaster should be here pretty soon. You need to save up a little bit more. But the TVM is probably going to be less money than most other custom's you will look at. Or at least it was priced better than all the other customs I looked at. Tom.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
TVM is the best choice for your needs. They are great people. They will work with you the entire time, if you change your mind about something and its not too late, they will alter your order. You just don't find that anywhere else in the $1000 to $1500 price range.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm going to go with what the others already said. Go to Dixon's so you can meet with the builders and handle some good examples of what you're looking for. My best friend and I both went with TVM and couldn't be happier. It's probably your best bang for the buck in your budget which by the way was the same budget I had when I made the plunge.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Koz if you can make Dixons be sure to stop and meet Don Getz. You could also do what Im doing now and buy a Delux Siler Lock and a Rice or any other quality barrel and a nice piece of wood for a stock and pick a builder later on ---acumulating the lock stock and barrel slowly and you never miss the money. If you get a great lock and barrel to start you will get a tack driver later.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Cabincreek made my gun and I have no regrets. They are a bit on the pricy side but you get what you pay for. The really cool thing about them if walking through his shop. While I was there he had an orginal Dickert, blunderbuss and a swivel breach that he was doing restoration work on. To be able to shoulder the orginal dickert was priceless

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Planning on visiting Dixon myself for the same purpose.....and I'm also a fan of the Lancasters, although the Berks style speaks very loudly to me. Greg Dixon cautioned me on them, though, as he said they are harder to fit properly, which is why there are more Lancaster style guns around now (just what he told me)...they fit more shooters better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts