The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 6 acres that surround my house. This land used to be planted with timothy, but is now turning to field grass, weeds, and locust sapplings. I have someone who will bush-hog the stuff and maybe turn it over for me. My real question is what is a good seed mix that will come back and would be beneficial for deer and turkeys? My next question is are there mixes that will only need over-seeded from year to year, or will I have to plow and replant every year?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clover and Alfalfa. It has never done me wrong.
I surface plowed a nice little landing, sprinkled it down, and haven't touched it since.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Frizzle - books have been written about this topic so getting it all in a forum is a little difficult.
Is it your land?
Do you want to hunt it or just benefit wildlife?
How much road frontage?
Proximity to neighbors?
What tools do you have available?
6 acres of foodplot provides enough land to meet many goals with different types of plantings. This is a great opportunity to experiment, learn and improve the habitat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is mostly just to benefit wildlife. This is my mother in laws land. It is very accessable via a stone driveway. None of this land can be seen from the road. There are very few neighbors. As far as tools we have a 4 wheeler and some some commercial spreaders to use. My brother in law does lawn care, so we have any of his machines to use as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts