The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a new piece of property last fall. I went out last Saturday to scout it out and check out the trailcams I had hung in various hollows. The land is part of a big ridge. I walked up to the top part of the property before daylight so I can listen for birds. Well they ended up being roosted about 50 yds away. They pitched down and walked right past me at 20 yds going downhill to the bottom of the ridge.

Here is my dilemma. I got these birds on trailcams and they have been on a steady pattern. I want to get my Dad his first gobbler. I set up a popup blind a month ago 200 yds away from where the birds roost and about 80 yards away from the hollow they take to the bottom of the ridge. Do I set up in the blind? Or do I set up where I sat this past Saturday? The leaves were wet so they did not hear me coming but if it's going to be dry first day they might get spooked.

What would you do? Its either go to the top and set up on level ground but risk being heard. Or sit below and try to call them in. With 2 gobblers and 3 hens though that might not work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
If they are consistently using the same area each day go there and forget about the blind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
Forget the blind. Go where you know they're going. If you get in there early enough before dark and walk slow/quietly you won't bump them. Just allow yourself enough time to use that extra caution before light
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bobcat too late to move the blind. Im guessing we will get up extra early and sneak in there about 50 or 60 yards away from their roost. Hopefully I can get him one. Will post pics if we get lucky;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
Not sure if time is an issue, but you can move the blind to a different spot. Turkey are not like deer, you can set up a blind the morning of a turkey hunt and have turkey walk past you.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
johnmas said:
bobcat too late to move the blind. Im guessing we will get up extra early and sneak in there about 50 or 60 yards away from their roost. Hopefully I can get him one. Will post pics if we get lucky;)
If you want to go that route, be in the woods an hour earlier than you normally would. If you are running late for some reason or there is much moonlight you prob will have to settle for further away. Ultra tight set ups are awesome but they don't work every time. Plus in my experience , easterns in hilly and mountainous country will move around alto. They may not be close come next kd. Try and put them to bed the eve before and count your steps out from a landmark. These can be the most intense hunts ever, but there is little room for mistakes. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
repsagA29 said:
Not sure if time is an issue, but you can move the blind to a different spot. Turkey are not like deer, you can set up a blind the morning of a turkey hunt and have turkey walk past you.

Good luck!
x2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
johnmas said:
They pitched down and walked right past me at 20 yds going downhill to the bottom of the ridge.

Here is my dilemma. I got these birds on trailcams and they have been on a steady pattern. I set up a popup blind a month ago 200 yds away from where the birds roost and about 80 yards away from the hollow they take to the bottom of the ridge. Do I set up in the blind? Or do I set up where I sat this past Saturday?
You KNOW everything you need to know. Where they roost, where they go, and the route they take. Set up along the route they take but not so close that you risk bumping them. Call Very sparingly (they're coming that way anyhow).
Good luck.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top