The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Get the best loose breakfast sausage you can find, if you can't find it bulk, buy some of those in a plastic wrapper like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans. Put a lb of sausage in a skillet and start it on a medium low heat, break up the sausage into small pieces as it browns, it will make its own grease but if it doesn't make enough add a little butter. When the sausage is brown start adding flour a table spoon or two at a time and stir everything around, add flour till all the grease is absorbed. Turn up the heat to medium and pour in enough milk to make the amouunt of gravy you want, the less milk the thicker the gravy, don't make it too thick. When the milk starts to simmer run a spatula around the bottom and sides of the skllet to prevent it sticking and burning. When it really starts to bubble, cut the heat back to simmer. Continue to do this until you get the thickness you want to the gravy. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to your taste. You can make home made biscuts but most of the time I use Pillsburry Grand buttermilk biscuts and I start them in the oven so they will be done and allowed to cool before the gravy is finished, makes it easier to cut the biscuts in half. Put the biscut halves on your plates and cover with sausage gravy. I like to throw an egg or two over easy right on top of the biscuts and gravy. Now I got myself hungry.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i saw this under recent posts on the right side of the screen and i just had to click on it. but now im hungry. Whos makeing it, ill be over in a little bit save me a plate!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
THIS IS THR RECIPE FOR PERFECT GRAVY, IT'S THE WAY I WAS TAUGHT IN THE HILLS OF KENTUCKY WHERE MY GRANMA LIVED.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
one of my favorite foods. what could be better than pork and pork fat and salt added to white flour and butter and milk. then you pour it over a biscuit made with white flour, transfat, more salt, more fat. Anything that unhealthy has to be good!!!!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The best breakfast sausage I ever made gravy was Tennesee Pride, I bought some when I was in FL to make breakfast with.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Even better over homefries with onions . A side of scrapple won't hurt either

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
John S said:
Get the best loose breakfast sausage you can find, if you can't find it bulk, buy some of those in a plastic wrapper like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans. Put a lb of sausage in a skillet and start it on a medium low heat, break up the sausage into small pieces as it browns, it will make its own grease but if it doesn't make enough add a little butter. When the sausage is brown start adding flour a table spoon or two at a time and stir everything around, add flour till all the grease is absorbed. Turn up the heat to medium and pour in enough milk to make the amouunt of gravy you want, the less milk the thicker the gravy, don't make it too thick. When the milk starts to simmer run a spatula around the bottom and sides of the skllet to prevent it sticking and burning. When it really starts to bubble, cut the heat back to simmer. Continue to do this until you get the thickness you want to the gravy. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to your taste. You can make home made biscuts but most of the time I use Pillsburry Grand buttermilk biscuts and I start them in the oven so they will be done and allowed to cool before the gravy is finished, makes it easier to cut the biscuts in half. Put the biscut halves on your plates and cover with sausage gravy. I like to throw an egg or two over easy right on top of the biscuts and gravy. Now I got myself hungry.
Eating things like that, how did you live to be so old???

I am surprised nobody took your sausage and “Gravy” to mean what us Irish call spaghetti sauce.
Now I must excuse myself from reading anymore of this post before I end up in the drive thru line at McDonald's ordering a steak, egg and cheese bagel meal.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The PA Dutch digestive system is made to eat foods like sausage gravy, cracklings and such.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
get rid of the sausage. chop up some dried venison for the gravy. thats the only way we eat gravy 'round here.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I eat and make both, and make them the same way, fry the drybeef in butter, add the flour and then the milk and a lot of pepper in the drybeef. Venison drybeef is good but it doesn't last long here.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
the flour method is good, but if you want to fast track things a little, my kentucky family has shared a different recipe with me that is VERY quick, and dang near as good, if not better IMO.

1 roll of sausage, just regular breakfast sausage - not the sage or maple stuff
1 can evaporated milk
milk
cornstarch

Brown sausage in sauce pan, I use a metal wire potato masher to bust up the sausage - when done, drain the grease. add the can of condensed milk, and another can of regular milk. bring to JUST below a boil, remove from heat and stir in a little cornstarch that has been mixed with cold water. continue until its the thickness you want. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. may want to just leave this as a table additive for those who are salt sensitive.
I can cook this start to finish faster than the biscuits can bake. Nothing beats having the biscuits coming out of the oven just as the gravy is finishing. Don't forget the hot sauce!~

Now, i know this is sacrilege, but i've also made this "low fat" by draining and rinsing the sausage, using fat free evap milk, and i gotta tell you, it's not even close, but it was edible.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Low fat!! All I have to say.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
at the time John, i had just gone thru my gastic bypass, and was deathly afraid of high fat foods cus my body did not react to them well with my new chemistry. fats and sugars and me do NOT get along anymore. I've come a long way...still can't eat much quantity, but the contents are not as stringent anymore. I can handle the fat of the real gravy now...back then i could not. thus the "low fat" version. after being on liquids for 2 weeks, pureed and soft foods for another month as my tummy healed, that flavorless sausage low fat glop actually tasted DANG good...but then so did "potted meat product" from the little cans. I lived on deviled ham for 2 weeks for crying out loud LOL

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is just that low fat, no fat anything sends me running. Glad you can eat fat again, it would be torture not to be able to.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i twas rough. just had to realize i have to limit the quantity and I won't be fat again. someething about losing 170 lbs that makes you think about these things LOL

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I make it about the same way but stwitch it around a little. I add the milk after I brown the sausage. i then mix flour with a little milk in a bowl. Once the milk in the pot with the sausage starts to bubble I add the mixture a little at a time. that way I can control the consistency and don't have any lumps. they both end up exactly the same due to being the same ingredients. On occassion I do add some onion soup mix to it..MAN talk about good. that REALLY kicks it up a notch and it tastes incredible.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I keep in simple, Fry the sausage, make two packs of instant country gravy and mix it in with the sausage. pour it over bisquits or home fries. Im sure homemade is better but this is good if your in a hurry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts