The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found spot on the susqy that doesn't seem to get a ton of pressure, but sure holds the fish. Back home on the west branch, I tear smallies up with rapalas and top water. These fish here seem to laugh at it. I'm not asking for everyone's secret lure, but can someone please give me a good starting point? I've heard river shad imitations mentioned in other places.... is this where I should be looking? I'm at a loss with these buggers and they seem to be thoroughly enjoying watching me go out of my mind trying to catch them.

I had one really good day in the there, but since it has just been quiet. I know they're there, I can see them from time to time.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
I fish French Creek in Crawford Co. quite a bit, I`ve had good luck in the early mornings with a Perch colored 4" Hedden top water Torpedo`s for Smallies , popping them stopping and twitching them, also using a chartreuse/brown Rebel Crab with a spinning rod with a slow/ medium retrieve..... Good Luck, and let us know if you find a lure that they prefer??

Reactions: GobbleBuck

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
This time of year. i would go with a fluke style bait. 3.5" White or baby bass. I like to nose hook with a 2/0 gamakatsu finess wide gap hook. Look for them in the push water.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Tubes are pretty much a standard smallie bait anymore. Flukes, 4" worms(I prefer thinner styles) and smaller jigs(twisters,creature,hair) are also in my "river vest". Along with a few hard baits in a small box (Cotton Cordell "Big O" was/is a favorite in the main stem), Rat-L-traps, topwaters and jerkbaits round out my vest.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This time of year. i would go with a fluke style bait. 3.5" White or baby bass. I like to nose hook with a 2/0 gamakatsu finess wide gap hook. Look for them in the push water.
That's where I found them. Its just in a spot that is incredibly difficult to access without a boat

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. Good Luck, and let us know if you find a lure that they prefer??

I absolutely will. I appreciate everyone's advice. Probably wont get on them much until the middle of next week, but the current water level seems to be holding so I have some time.

Reactions: SlickShot

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Tubes and Fat Albert curly tail grubs.
Green Pumpkin or Watermellon seed.
Also Case Sinkin Salty Shads in same colors.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
1/8oz Cabin Creek Salty Spider color #33(pumpkin pepper)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Z-man trd on a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce mushroom jig head, depending on flows. Look up ned rig fishing on youtube.

Green pumpkin color will nail it.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
I've always had good luck on the susqy with anything motor oil color.....sassy shads, twisters, tubes....and a 1/8oz jig.

Rapala crayfish crankbaits are good,too, but pricey when you get stuck and lose one.

This time of year, anything that mimics a crayfish or small fish is generally the winner.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went out on Shermans Creek last night for a quick trip. Despite getting absolutely mauled by mosquitos, I did manage 8 fish, one of which was pretty decent in the 15" range. All 8 were extremely healthy and put up a good fight. Still haven't made it into a tackle shop, but the choice last night was the deep diving rapala. Gonna brave the traffic on the way home tonight and hit bass pro. Will update again tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Another friend recommended ned rigs.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went down to Bass Pro this evening to see what they had from what you guys had recommended. All I could find were the Ned Rigs, oh man did they come through.

I caught 24 smallies in the push water spot tonight. Biggest was probably 16. Most were in the 10-13 range. The two in the pictures were pretty much the average for the night. I took 6 rigs with me, and lost them all on snags except for two. What would have been my biggest fish of the night, I'd say it was in the 18-20" range judging by how it felt and how it looked when it jumped, broke my line shortly after.

So i figured out what they like, now I have to figure out the line problem. Im using spider wire invisibraid that I put on in June. Does that stuff wear out that fast? I lost another good feeling fish on the hook set. From what I saw, I wasn't pulling the knot. I'm going to go back to my app and make sure I was tying my knot correctly, but I am really thinking a complete respool may be in order.

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in on advice. Icemole, If i try the recommendation you made, the deal still in effect. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Use a Palomar knot or a double Palomar knot with the braid. I've been using the double Palomar and have yet to have a knot fail.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Respooled and tried the palomar... it was even worse. So I added another loop through the eye and retied about every third fish. Had no problems after that. 31 tonight. I think its safe to say im getting them figured out.

Cool story from tonight: I caught a lot more fish in the 8-11 inch range tonight. Every time I would catch one, an absolute giant would follow them in, taking runs at them the whole way. At one point he hit one fish as i was going down to lip it. Scared the crap out of me. I usually have a popper on me and I am sure i would have at least had a chance at him with it, but no dice.... it was back home in my other box.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
This is a good time of year to try surface stuff, for sure. Floating jigs with twisters were always absolutely deadly when they were fired up for topwater action. Generally low/clear water in hot late summer was when that was best.

Typically, I'd say this time of year....just not this year.... lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts