The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Saw some like that in the late 60's in Subic Bay, Philippines.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would be careful not to cut yourself on the arrowheads. Depending on where they are from could be poisoned. Where did you get them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well they could be from 2 places. One place is Africa, many old African tribes around the congo area made arrows with tips like that. The second place could be native Americans, most likly from the western United States. One good way to find out where they could be from is the feathers that are used as fletching. Also the metal that is used to make the tips could give you a ruff idea of where they were made.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
After racking my brain the people that made the bow and arrows were the "Negrito".They would set up a stand on the Subic Naval Base and sell there goods,they were only about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.The marking on the tube that the arrows go into would be in reference to there tribe.
Can you post a photo of the nock end of the arrow? Also is the tube made of bamboo?
Most of there items were made to sell to the troops not made to use.
Take a look at this PLATE 4.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yep I would say they are from the Philippines.
I saw them when I was there on R&R in 66.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I guess Native Americans could have started fashioning spear or arrowheads from metal, after garnering metal through trading, etc... but I'm not sure any tribes really adopted that style. I'd have my doubts, and would guess if any indian tribes did go the way of metal, it would be more to sell as trinkets, and not as weaponry ?

I think there are clues there to suggest Asian. Retiredusne8 is more than likely right on.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The Call Man
After some digging through old slides and photo found one.

Here is the Negrito's stand in Subic Bay R.P.that they sold them out of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts