The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me a year to get my favorite gun back. The shop that farmed it out did everything that they could to rectify the problem (with the gunsmith and delays getting it back) but it turns out that it still has the same issue and now has a new one.They have a new gunsmith that I haven't tried yet.
We bagged it early last year since we were having shotgun issues with a few guns.All of the issues are resolved(1 was with a new gun,another was my lack of knowledge of Baretta's and the third well, it is a long story and I won't bore you (excuse the pun)...but here is a little info on the gun that is still acting up.
Here I am in the midst of the first dove season(and I shot sporting clays twice at our local club) and I still have the same problem and a now a new one.
The gun is a 12ga Weatherby Orion(I love it because of the pistol grip and of course how it rises for me).
Anyway while the gun was farmed out from the gun shop to a gunsmith the stock was broken and had to be sent back to Weatherby.I even agreed to pay half of the stock replacement. After all of these delays I have it now and am now afraid to keep shooting it.The frequency of the problem is the same as it was when I first took it in. The gun cracks open (O\U) roughly 2 times for every 50 round clay shoot (once per box). The gun smith replaced the bolt lock (or so he said) and I can see dychem in the bolt lock area.
Last week during a clay shoot the gun shot both barrels at the same time. It had never done this before. Mentally it has begun to affect my shooting. I was a solid 45\50 or better when I shot but my score last week dipped to 40.
Does anyone on here know what would cause these issues? I am afraid that if I take it back to have it looked at again that I might not get it back (again) before the end of the shotgun seasons this year and my oldest stepson is using my backup Baretta and my wife my O\U 20ga Orion.Our only other shotgun is a 20ga 1187 Youth that is my younger stepsons.
The gun is much like the SKB and is my favorite firearm. It does the shooting for me almost until now.
Any insight on what to do with it is appreciated. I think it is now a serious safety hazard and I don't want to miss yet another hunting season. I wanted to get out there today but don't think it should be shot anymore so I won't be out in my honey hole dove spot I just found.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I wouldn't keep or use a gun that I didn't trust. I would
be looking into buying a new gun. I wouldn't put more money
into trying to get it fixed since you did that once and it
wasn't corrected. That's just what I would do, maybe someone
on here could help you more?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that it worked for 10 years with constant pounding.This gun got used a lot and they don't make them with the pistol grip anymore. I have picked up a trillion shotguns in my time and not a single one feels as good as this one does- that is why I bought 2 of them.
THe other issue is that the gunsmith that did the work also broke my stock and so I am not even sure if he did anything to it (repair).
I am going to try Weatherby first but wanted to see if anyone else is familiar with the Japanese Weatherby's. I love the gun and do not want to part with it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like you have a Smith malfunction along with a shotgun malfunction.Try Weatherby keep us posted.Curious did you get that shotty thru the Bank program Weatherby was running years ago?
Smage

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went clay shooting with a buddy of mine about 10 years ago.We were hand throwing with one of those fiberglass extensions and midi's.It was tough and he was cleaning house. I asked to try it with his gun (The Whby in question) and never missed another one for the rest of the day. I ended up buying his 12 and 20 ga because they fit like nothing I ever tried. They were used actually even though the 20 had less than a box shot through it( still probably less then 20 boxes- it looks brand new)...
I have yet to find a gun that fits me so well and is as deadly.
The smith isn't doing business with the store anymore...
THe store is trying to see if a local person could turn it around quick(at my cost) and are going to talk to Whby also.
Hopefully I can get it back asap to hunt this year and will keep ya posted.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will most likely go there .I am trying to get the store to use their business relationship to expedite the work either through Weatherby or another local gunsmith. The don't want the liability at this point. I hope that it isn't another long delay but it might be.The store has made another commitment to get back to me by early this coming week to tell me how quick the turn around will be. I guess I will see.
I should just go out and get another gun but I can't.The gun is like a well worn in baseball glove that has served me well and has made me kick some serious butt in the field and less importantly on a clay range where I only shoot a few times a year. Maybe I am superstitious( I don't consider myself to be) but I haven't ever shot any other shotty as well as this one and it like an extension to me. I have shot with just mod tubes with some pretty good shooters and impressed them with it- there is just something about the gun that I can't get over....but my patience is wearing thin. I am not willing yet yo do something else. Heck I'd still rather shoot it vs. a brand new exact same model out of the box. Call me crazy but that gun and I have done some incredible things...and no I don't talk to it(not when other people are around- HAHAH! if I did, I wouldn't tell ya anyway!).

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
If the problem of the gun opening on report happened after the "smith" broke and replaced your stock, then it may be as simple as improper stock inletting that is causing an internal "hang-up" and not permitting the gun to lock up. Carefully remove the stock and check for any wear marks on the stock around the action. Sometimes it can be as simple as removing some wood, especially after someone hastily fit a stock. Hope it helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts