The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loggy with climber that I have used for years and love it, however, I am looking for a new climbing stand that has a shooting rest. What would you recommend as the best climbing tree stand with shooting rest out now? Weight is a factor, but comfort would influence my decision more so. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
Summits are comfy and make a good add-on rifle rest that looks pretty nicely done. What's kinda cool about Summit is that most of the accessories they make for their stands attach to most of the models, so you don't have to buy one particular stand to get the accessory you want. I think the rifle rest bar is about $40, give or take, and will attach to I think almost all their stands.

What is important info, though, is how far do you need/want to pack the stand? Summits are good, but weigh more than something like a Lone Wolf that will be lighter and easier to carry over longer or rougher walks to a stand location.

·
Registered
298 Posts
you can't go wrong with a Summit, i own the Razor and Viper aluminum. they are lighter than most, easier to setup and use, and EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE to be in. i routinely sleep in mine everytime i go hunting. they come complete with a full body harness. just find the model that suits your needs and buy it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Didn't Loggy have an attachment that was sorta like a shooting stick attchment that folded down on to the stand?

·
Registered
20,880 Posts
I have a lone wolf with all three seats they make.Last week I got the new wide sit and climb top.I ended up taking their seat off and replacing it with a summit seat that I had.It's about the same weight as a summit but it packs easier and is definately alot quieter.In my opinion,it's the best of both worlds.I have the seat adjusted so the sit and climb bar will work nice as a rifle rest.However,it flips out of the way so I can still shoot sitting down with my bow.I've owned both and the Lone wolf beats the summit in every way except price and comfort.With the summit seat on the new wider top,it's as comfortable as a Summit.If you spend enough time in a tree each year,I find the cost easy to justify.Why they can't get a seat right just boggles my mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
I would be buying an equalizer if I was buying a new stand and had the dough for one. They look about as comfy as a Summit, and totally eliminate the "how much do I have to cant the stand" debate you have to have when you hook on the tree.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Yote, but no, I dont plan to sell the loggy at this point.
I like the sound of the summit as far as the comfort. I plan to check them out for weight and compare with the other models you guys mentioned above. A pound or two is not too much of a deal, I seem to find 5 more pounds of gadgets every year to pack in! How did I ever shoot deer with my old TSS, a strap to climb and only a pocket full of gear?
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Summitt Viper--mine is 8 years young! Ive used it plenty---safe---Ive slep 20 feet up on many days afield....even windy days I feel safe. Its quiet and esay to climb with and the rail is second to now for support.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some additional research after narrowing the field:
The EQ24 weighs 25 lbs and costs 370
The Lone Wolf Alpha weighs in at 20 lbs and costs 390,
the Viper SS the same 20 lbs and costs 280

·
Registered
333 Posts
GOtta love the old loggys. I have 2 of them at home and dont plan on ever giving them up. I took one to a friends camp and they were amazed i still had one. I actually like them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Where did you read the LW weighs 20#? It is advertised at 17.5# and on the scale at the post office it was in fact right around 17# without the sit strap or seat pad on it (I forgot to take them). I think they advertise the shipping weight as twenty due to the box and harness that come in with it.

But the weight wasn't the reason i bought it; it's how compact it packs, how sturdy it is on the tree, and how quiet it is.

I still think my old Loggy is pretty much the same weight with the climbing aid on it, I have never weighed it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts