The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 400 Polaris Sportsman. I only have 1200 miles on it in 7 years so really that is not many miles in 7 years. In Archery season when it got cold all of a sudden the quad would not idle. I can ride it but have to have constant gas goning through the engine. Even if I am riding and hit the break it will shut off. Here is what we have done so far.

Took off the Gas tank and made sure nothing was in there and got rid of the gas and put new in.
Cleaned the Carb
Changed the oil
Got new Spark plug
Replaced battery

The throtle seems loose but for the life of me I can not figure out how to adjust it.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Adjust idle...

If carbureted, may need re-jetting. But check idle first.

·
Registered
536 Posts
SOunds alot like water in the gas. THe crappy stuff you buy nowadays it's hard not to. Pull the float bowl off the carb and take the fuel tank filter and shut off valve apart enough to be 100% sure you get it all out. Those are the 3 places it usually hides that it's hard to remove from. Just draining the float bowl won't do it since there is a few places for it to hide. If you wan't to maybe cheat a little first run dry gas in the system and see if that cears it up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have already completely drained the quad of gas. The Carb was completely taken out and taken a part.

Nuge I think you are right I just need to find it.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
It's on the carb...

There will be 3 screws (besides the bowl screws of course)

An air/fuel screw...

And idle screw....

And a jet screw(s)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nuge hopefully this weekend I can get in there again to work on it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
the switch is in the little box behind the throttle, I took my to the dealer so I didnt fix it myself as it was still under warranty

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
For your throttle, you have to adjust the cable... make sure you adjust it enough to have just a slight bit of play in it... you don't want to over adjust as this will raise the carb slide. Adjust your idle first... then the cable for the throttle/slide.

This is an idle issue for 1 main reason... your cable is loose... which leads me to believe it was hanging the slide up in the first place. Now that the cable went loose, from either wear or an adjustment screw coming loose... the idle went down. The dealer didn't have it properly set from the start. Not that it would hurt anything, just a quick way to adjust idle, but certainly not the right way.

Not to mention idle will go down in the cold...

Wish I lived closer... I'd have your bike fixed in 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts