The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying an ar. I do not know a whole lot about these rifles as what brands are good and bad,etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money one one, I would like to stay around $800-$1000. I am looking to be schooled on the ar to help with my purchase. I don't want to run out and buy the first one I see. What are all your guys thoughts? Thank you for your time

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Most are relative in quality. Some good, better, best.Stick with milspec. Staked gas keys, m4 feed ramps, etc. Is this for fun like a plinker, home defense, shtf, long range, etc? Lots of questions to start asking yourself.
IMO stay away from carbon/polymer lowers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What is your intended use? Home defense, plinking up to 50 yards, 300 yard target shooting, hunting? Will you ever strap it on your back and carry it for a few miles, or just tote back and forth from the range. How much shooting will you do? 5k rounds per year, or maybe a few hundred per year?

Any idea on optics so far? Could give a recommendation once we know what you intend to do with it.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Justin3 said:
What is your intended use? Home defense, plinking up to 50 yards, 300 yard target shooting, hunting? Will you ever strap it on your back and carry it for a few miles, or just tote back and forth from the range. How much shooting will you do? 5k rounds per year, or maybe a few hundred per year?

Any idea on optics so far? Could give a recommendation once we know what you intend to do with it.
As you can see the options are endless. You'll need more than one.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
like was said...you gotta decide what you want the gun for and how you want it setup....

you could have a basic type rifle...you could have a SBR...you could build a long range rig...the sky isnt even the limit anymore with ARs...

heck...you gotta decide caliber now...not too long ago that wasnt even something you had to think about...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Dogface said:
As you can see the options are endless. You'll need more than one.
I like many other have said the same thing, but Dogface has included a key piece of advice.

On a serious note. It wouldn't be a bad thing always having extra lowers and uppers in case you have the bug to start building.

·
Registered
753 Posts
As stated, options everywhere. For a grand or less you can find a Colt or Sig 400. I can't recommend a new Colt ( I hear too many things about the Colts made in Canada) but can recommend a Sig. I have two. Purchase a M400 and you will be happy. I don't want to start a argument, but a Sig is better. I my opinion. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've had a Bushmaster M4 for about 10 years, have fired A LOT of rounds out of it and NEVER had a problem with it. I had an Olympic Arms M4 and it was junk, so with my personal experience and some others I've talked to, stay away from Olympic Arms.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The bad part is in PA you are pretty limited to plinking of competition. A varmint rig is pretty useless here until the powers that be can grow spines and not be afraid of a 223.

That said there are a lot of good manufactures out there. I picked up a Rock River National Match that is extremely accurate and I can ring steel at 600 with junk ammo, but it depends on what you want to do. A 12 lb AR would not be a great 3 gun match rifle, and a 16" bbl collapsible stock carbine type wouldnt cut it for service rifle competition. Kind of like a "what is the best deer rifle" question. It depends on what you are going to do with it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Like has been said in nearly every post... lots of options.

You should have NO PROBLEM getting one today in your price range.
Just shop around a bit. As far as suggested features, I'll share my opinion...
For your first (I have several)...

Your probably limited to a standard gas impingement system due to your price.
(Though I recently got a screaming deal $799 on an Ruger SR556 piston rifle)

Get a flat top receiver, and if possible a top rail on the fore grip.
(It will give you more options for sights & optics) and should have a free floated barrel.

Go with a milspec system with a cast or forged lower receiver.
Don't get all hung up on trigger pull... they are horrible and easily upgraded.

Get a 1:7 to 1:9 twist (1:7 will give you more options in shooting heavier bullets)
but 1:9 should not be a deal breaker at all if you like the rifle.

I would stick with a 5.56 chamber for your first... (NOT .223) you can buy other uppers if you want another caliber.
(think .357 Mag vs. .38 SPEC) with 5.56 you can shoot 5.56 & .223...

Some quality guns to consider:
S&W M&P15, SIG556, Ruger SR556, Stag Arms, Spikes Tactical, and about 50 more...

ETA: You could buy a stripped lower and build one, which is easy, fun & educational, but I doubt you'd save any money in today's market. I personally am NOT a fan of Olympic Arms. That opinion is based SOLELY on a .22LR upper I have of theirs and am NOT impressed.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Like others have said, you need to consider what type of shooting you want to do and start there. This was my 1st purchase of an AR, it's a Smith and Wesson M&P15-OR and I bought it bare for around $900.
16" barrel, 1-9 twist, just under 7lbs bare weight and it will shoot 5.56 or .233. I added Vortex StrikeFire Optics, quad rail for different attachments (Lights/Lazer) and also added Yankee Hill BUIS (BackUp Iron Sights). Now, obviously I cant use it to hunt and I dont expect the world to end anytime soon but I always wanted an AR. I mostly just use it for plinking at the range but I dont have a problem hitting a target at 300 yards with it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I been deciding which ar15 to buy past few weeks. I work hard for my money and want to spend it wisely. I like the s&w m&p15, colt 6920. Than i came across the stag arms model 1. Awesome weapon i like the features on it and lifetime warranty.

I did review dpms, the new colt 6900, bushmaster My local dealer has them and i held both. Nah not what i looking for. The mp15 is a great ar15, wish it was mil spec and had chrome lining. The colt 6920 is top of the line but the 4 figures steers me away. Now the stag model 1? Now i like that has the specs i looking for at a good mid range price.

I talk to couple buddies who builds them and claims they can build cheaper than new. I did look into it myself watched videos on you tube. LOL forget that to many small parts.

I always wanted a m16 growing up, now at 50. I just want to have one to full fill my dream. Yeah I will shoot it. I reload for a 223. Got plenty of ammo. I will not shoot mine (when i get it, when it is available) rapid fire. I have several rifles and know how hot the barrel gets in the summer after 3 rounds.

My mind is set on the stag arms model 1. Couple hundred dollars more than the m&p15 and couple hundred dollars less than the colt 6920. I can't go wrong with the stag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts