The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys here is my story. Back in december 05 or january 06 i caught my first red fox while trapping. I took it to the local taxidermist, everything seemed great. Well about a year later he said he needed a deposit of $200. So i went in and paid it. Long story short I havent heard from the guys since. Ive called to and all i got was the answering machine. Ive went there personally and knocked on the door, and no body would answer. The other day i drove by and the shop says for sale!? I also heard that the guy is in jail now. My question is how can i get my money back or heck even my fox (wherever the heck it might be?) Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Call the cops and ask for their advise.

·
Registered
445 Posts
In Pennsylvania, a taxidermist must be licensed by the PA Department of Agriculture.

don't know if it would do any good, but I'd call them and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I hate to point this out, but he never said he was licensed. I hope you got a slip or something in writing with your deposit, date, and condition of animal. If you have something in writing you can do something, but if not it is a case of he said v.s. he said. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
it's unfortunate but even if you were able to prove the guy owed you a fox and $200, you would most likely be in a long line with your hand out waiting. I doubt your his only victim. Good Luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fly Guy said:
I hate to point this out, but he never said he was licensed. I hope you got a slip or something in writing with your deposit, date, and condition of animal. If you have something in writing you can do something, but if not it is a case of he said v.s. he said. Good luck.
I have a receipt, it shows the original price and then the date in which I payed the $200.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
InVenangoNow said:
it's unfortunate but even if you were able to prove the guy owed you a fox and $200, you would most likely be in a long line with your hand out waiting. I doubt your his only victim. Good Luck.
Yes I am hearing more and more stories such as mine from people around the area

·
Registered
970 Posts
I dont know if you will get your fox back or even if you did what shape it is in but with that receipt you should be able to get your money back. My need to contact a small claims attorney to help

this type of thing really stinks.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I hate hearing about this type stuff. Some years back this taxidermist in MD pulled this type thing "Hunters Haven". The word I got was his wife left him and he got to drinking and after so many years he ended up being found working for another taxidermist in VA. Don't know if that is true, but I do know he just closed up and disapeared for a good while. Several customers had filed against him in small claims court, and some of them actually called me asking about what a reasonable turnaround time is and whatnot, but no lawyers ever called to see if I would supply affidavid or anything. I also don't know if these people ever got the guy to return deposits and animals.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds like the clown in Allentown who is doing two salmon for my wife and I. Only difference is I get to talk to him and get a run around. Only been 3 years for two fish. Everytime I talk to him I am next in line. Gave him a month and a half to get them done. Called him last week and he said I am next in line. I told him have them ready for this saturday and that I am coming to get them finished or not. If they are finished they better look darn good. Not finished he better have everything in the shop tied down including himself. I hope he is not looking for the last $200.00 or he will have to look long and hard. I guess I will have to tell him that he is next in line to get paid. Sorry to steal your thread but some of these clowns are getting out of hand anymore..........

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Taxidermy is a business just like a plumbing business, garage/auto body shop, print shop etc. Every year we hear complaints about taxidermists from people that wouldn't even think of putting up with that crap from other busnesses they deal with. Yet they allow 3, 4 or 5 years go by without doing anything about their dead beat taxidermist.
NEWS FLASH----many taxidermists are horrible businesspeople. Get everything in writing and hold them to it. However, keep in mind that those of us that are GOOD businesspeople will do the same with you. Its a 2 way street.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paul C said:
Taxidermy is a business just like a plumbing business, garage/auto body shop, print shop etc. Every year we hear complaints about taxidermists from people that wouldn't even think of putting up with that crap from other busnesses they deal with. Yet they allow 3, 4 or 5 years go by without doing anything about their dead beat taxidermist.
NEWS FLASH----many taxidermists are horrible businesspeople. Get everything in writing and hold them to it. However, keep in mind that those of us that are GOOD businesspeople will do the same with you. Its a 2 way street.
Sir I have tried alot of things to get in contact with this guy. I talked to him personally and he said everything was on schedule (1 year later). Then when he "vanished" I tried calling and visiting, but there was nothing I could do. So believe me I havent sat around and done nothing. I did everything I could without getting the law involved, which now seems to be my option.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
HoneyBrookHunter said:
In Pennsylvania, a taxidermist must be licensed by the PA Department of Agriculture.

not anymore.

·
Registered
445 Posts
hunter4095 said:
HoneyBrookHunter said:

not anymore.
So you're saying they don't need to be licensed? Maybe they need to go back to that. IMO

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I had trouble with a guy in that area. 4 yrs for my full mount bear, and 3 yrs for my dad's deer. NEVER go there again.

flocknocker said:
Sounds like the clown in Allentown who is doing two salmon for my wife and I. Only difference is I get to talk to him and get a run around. Only been 3 years for two fish. Everytime I talk to him I am next in line. Gave him a month and a half to get them done. Called him last week and he said I am next in line. I told him have them ready for this saturday and that I am coming to get them finished or not. If they are finished they better look darn good. Not finished he better have everything in the shop tied down including himself. I hope he is not looking for the last $200.00 or he will have to look long and hard. I guess I will have to tell him that he is next in line to get paid. Sorry to steal your thread but some of these clowns are getting out of hand anymore..........

·
Registered
81 Posts
Taxidermists in PA ARE REQUIRED to be licensed by the Dept. of Agriculture. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Unless I am sending my $100 a year to some scam, you still need to be licensed, just not by the PGC anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts