The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Traditions St Louis Hawken style 50 cal. for $100. i dont know anything about black powder rifles. is this a good deal or is it to much. i cant find alot about them on the internet. everything i find is the kit not yet put together for around $300. please let me know ASAP. thanks

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Do not waste your money on a traditions...Put your money in a good quality used Thompson Center with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Winchester in-line 50 cal, 209 primer, bolt action, gray syn stock, black finish. i also have a choice of this one for 125. i really did not want an inline but its a Winchester and is prob better then the other one. let me know what one is the better deal.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
my frist blackpowder was a traditions 1;48 twist not built all that well but it is a shooter in my opion they are a good starter gun if your not sure if your gooing to like blackpowder or not

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
IMHO I'd put the money toward a TC or Lyman.

·
Registered
431 Posts
TC might have a better warranty, but you will spend more initially. On the other hand you will end up spending money on that gun if you use it much (new sights, case hardening frizzen).

You say you are new to black powder guns. If the bore is safe to shoot I say buy it and give it a try. Like Ron pa said you can always resell it and probably make a little on it for a price like that.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
I,d really check out the bore thoroughly.If it checks out good I,d jump on it for that price.I know of T/C rifles that are still shootin strong well after 30 years.There is no equal,but Traditions would be a great starter for you especially for that super low price.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Both guns have their draw backs. However I assume the traidions is a cap lock. A cap lock goes off as fast an an inline and is nearly as reliable. And locks more traditional. an in-line is the easy button gun for folks with self limiting educational prospects.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for your input i think im going to hold off and get a T/C once i save some more money.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
if it was me i would look into the lymans i think they are a better gun for the money thats justs my opinion [of course we already had this discussion]they are a little cheaper but its all in what you like and fill at ease with

·
Registered
73 Posts
would not be affraid to buy the traditions i have 2 of them and have not had any problems what so ever and if you dont like it its only 100 bucks and you could get most of your money back on a trade

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
I agree with 25-06.You can save up and buy a T/C anytime.But if this gun has been well taken care of and not beat up it is a deal that you might never come across again.You could always sell it when you want to step up.You aren,t goin to lose on it that,s for sure.

·
Registered
769 Posts
your question was about that gun not about others and I will answer it as you ask it. if that is a completed kit gun I would steer way clear of it. you have no idea who put it together or why they sold it. it very well was sold because after all the work putting it together it did not work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts